Nikon D200 and D700 for Studio Still life macro/Portraits/Editorial/Fashion?

mcblue

Hi,

I'm a regular Nikon user shooting portraits, street, etc. with a D70 and then a D200. I'm wondering if it

mattered to add a D700. I have most of Nikon's best lenses and have been doing engagements and weddings. Up until

recently, I wasn't interested in studio-type work (I only did engagements and weddings when friends requested I

do work for them and now I'm getting referrals) but inspiration struck and I'd like to try my hand on editorial

work. I understand I'll be learning a lot of lighting first, but I wanted to ask about building or upgrading my

camera kit.

I was wondering if there were anyone in the business shooting high fashion or full page spread editorial-type

photography with a D200 and a D700. I'm wondering if a digital medium format kit was a prerequisite for that kind

of work -- or is it only to separate the established pros from anyone who can buy a DSLR? I'm ready to spend to

upgrade my 35mm DSLR kit but prices on medium format equipment is still kinda steep for me and a risk.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice on this. Thanks!

-marvin

I think it depends if you need view camera movements and how big the reproduction is going to be.

I would use large format film and pay for a good drum scan to start. Then you need to make a business case for more/better equipment. A 4x5 and 210 lens is a good start and the file will be far superior than any digi cam.

My 700 is a far better camera than my 200 specially at higher ISO. You would not be disappointed, but it is still just a slr.

Hey Marvin I have had the pleasure of using all the cameras you mentioned.......for studio work and weddings it is well worth it to invest in the D700.....as good as the D200 is the D700 had a wonderful view finder...similar to the F6 and is so quite at the higher ISO's that you can use a 1.4 lens in the dark and good exposure results that are printable up to an 8x10 and perhaps even larger. As to the Medium format option.....unless your going to be getting 10,000 dollars a wedding its over kill........

Good luck........

Thanks Ed! Do you think it's also good enough for more high-end portraiture (like studio, editorial shoots -- for full-page spreads, etc.).

The D700 would be a great addition for the work I've been doing. I'm not a $10k wedding guy though, so medium format with a digital back will be too much. I'm just wondering if the small format will be enough...