Confused between canon 50d and nikon d300

black_bishop

Well, im kind of new in photography and i want to buy a slr, im basically concerned about noise at high iso levels,

and speed of the cameras, my pictures will be mostly of landscapes, architecture and also birds and water. Im

between the canon 40- or 50d and the nikon d300, i have doubts with these points

1 -cause im gonna use the camera in hard conditions where water could be a problem, im not sure if canon could

resist properly, the same as the nikon d300 in theory does, cause is weather sealed

2-also, altough it seems canon has easier menus and really great lenses, im really amazed by those 51 points of

nikon, my question is, for landscapes and birds, do you really need so much focus points ?

are the 9 points of canon quicker than 51 of nikon ?

3-and the other stuff, i´ll have to take both in my hands, to see the ergonomics, and to see wich one is the iso

champ, the 40d or the d300, and im kind of worried, cause i have heard that nikon is kinda dificult to handle, too

many functions and deep menus, dont know if you get used to

so, ( i know the web and this site is plenty of discussions like this, but this are some specific items wich im not

clear with) i´ll appreciate any help

The only factual experience I can give you is the D300 weather sealing. It works. I was caught in a hard down pour for 15

minutes. My camera was on a tripod. I put the tripod with the camera on my shoulder with the lens facing down. That

was 8 months ago. My D300 is working perfectly.

I use both Canon (5D, 1DsMk3) and Nikon systems and I cannot tell you which one is easier to use. Once you know

where the function is you just go there. My Nikon has two thumb wheels and the Canon has two wheels. Both are very

intuitive if you are used to using cameras.

As far as ergonomics, go to a camera store and hold each one yourself. I found that I actually like the Canon 5D better

than my Nikon D300 and D700. The grip on my 5D is a little fatter and rounded so it is easier to hold. That is only my

personal opinions. You have to find your own answer on them.

I love the focus points on the Nikon. I shoot a lot of portraits and the focus points are lacking on the Canon including my

1DsMk3.

Both Nikon and Canon have great auto focus.

The Nikon system has more focus points but they are grouped closer to the center of the frame so I dont see the fewer focus

points Canon has to be a disadvantage because they are spread out more over the frame.

The 50D is supposed to have improved sealing over the 40D. With that said, I've shot in high wind and light rain many

times with my 40D without a problem. I'm sure the D300 is a great camera, albeit more expensive, but I've never cared for

the Nikon user interface. Both cameras have more features than mere mortals need and both companies have great

accessory systems. Like Hansen suggested, go to a shop and hold one in your hand and play with it. For many the choice

comes down to ergonomics and feel.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'm not straight anymore !. Two weeks ago I buy myself a new toy : D300. (shoot all my life with Canon). Many reasons make me doo this stepp...Probably, to get the best from both systems. Also I was no happy with exposure acuracy in Canon xxD cameras using EX flash system. I also have the new 50D and every day I compare the two cameras, in many ways.

-Canon has a better friendly interface (better ergonomics), wery easy to use and change settings. Is very responsive in challenging situations.

-AF is faster in Canon 50D (D300 react like my EOS 1v) but tracking and AF point auto selection work better in D300.

-ISO is about the same (for landscapes I prefer Canon)

-Nikon have CA correction ( usefull for landscapes, birds etc)- Canon have vignette cor.

-Both have fine focus adjust

-Nikon have only 2 very fast (HSM) and very good lens for 300D : 17-55/2,8HSM and 70-200/2,8 VR HSM. These two exceeds Canon similar lenses in all points including price. The other Nikon lenses are slow , most of them using the old scruedriver to focus. (the optic is excelent)

-Nikon is build like a pro body with better sealings and electromagnetic shutter release and 100% viewfinder.

-Nikon have Scene recognition system with several K images stored in memory in order to use'em for exposure algorithm. This is in theory. I don't have ( yet) a dedicated Nikon flash to confirm my hopes.

The D Lighting system in Nikon is inferior to canon ALO and HP. It work lie some sort of exposure compensation, pictures look washout (with setting to HIGH)

Both cameras are in my opinion the biggest step forward in semi-pro D- slr evolution, and im not sure yet ,witch one I like more....

No , I don't , Nachi, both are mutch sharper compared to my prev. Canon 40D, witch I always suspect to have some focusing problems. The first thing I do after I receive my 50D, was to calibrate all my lenses..., only to discover that's no need for that.

thank you all, im nore confident now tih canon 50d, cause if it resists a low rain, thats what i need, and well, i have always liked canon, and i guess 9 focus points, if fast enough will be just ok for me, and if in noise levels are the same, ill maybe buy the canon 50d

i will check them anyway at the store to check the ergonomics,