New bought lens - Goerz Dagor

gchu1970

Hej guys, why thank me for?

Say thaks to all those open minded people who supply the site with information, because its gonna be better if more and more people sending in information insteed sitting on it and not sharing it.

Still a lots of things missing so if you have some intresting things just send it in. They love to publish it, I'm pretty sure of that.

Hi gehu,

Since the focal length is in inches, it had to be one of the 3 companies making and selling American Goerz lenses the Germans always used metric measure. AOC did this for at least 30 years, then American Goerz separated and went on its own with less and less success until the went "belly up" in about 1970 (crude remembrance on my part). The third US company to be Goerz was B&J, the owner George Drucker bought Goerz from Zeiss/Goerz in about 1927 and sold existing lenses and made new lenses under the name "Goerz Berllin. This continued until B&J was sold to Ilex Optical whot hated the B&J company and eliminated the optics division after which B&J was sold to Burleigh Brooks, also known as Burleigh Brooks Optics, Inc..

You don't want to know how Zeiss and Goerz became Zeiss/Goerz which nearly destroyed both companies.

The last vestige of Goerz (name only) was sold to Schneider in about the mid 1970's. They re-designed the 4 element Artar in to the 6 element "Blue Dot Tricor" a very good wide field apo lens. The updated the Dagor (earlier jokingly named the Golden Dagor, because they didn't have time to blacken the the bezel so they changed the name). The last (Schneider) Dagor was a terrific lens and it had a special name which I no longer remember, mabye Gold Dot, but serieouls I no longer remember). The Schneider/Goerz lenses were actually made in Switzerland by Kern Optix, the same company that made Bolex and Alpa lenses.

I waa closely associated with the Goerz lineage, latter Schneider, and Ilex/Calumet lenses due to being associated with old B&J, the last B&J, BBOI, and Calumet when it manufactured cameras and lenses.

Lynn