Carl,

Can you please tell me where I'm being closed minded? I asked a simple question.....how is Photoshop better on a Mac? How will my Epson scanner work better on a Mac? How will my Epson printers run better on a Mac? These are straightforward questions that on forums like this....NEVER get answered. Instead, some people resort to attacks.

I've no axe to grind. All I'm asking is how Photoshop and my scanners and printers will run better on the Mac. If a Mac user is so convinced of this, it should be a relatively easy question to answer. Or, is this another "PCs are only for spreadsheets" bit of nonsense?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

I'm not "attacking" you or your views. I've been a Dell/Windows user for many, many years, but made the switch to

Apple recently. Does an Epson scanner work "better" on a Mac? No. Does Photoshop work "better" on a Mac? No.

What does work better are the integration between the two. When I scan an image, I can drop/drag it in/out of any

program I have on the mac rather than worry about 'importing' it into various Windows programs. My scanner is also

always up an running on my Apple as opposed to bad drivers or constant problems where the, "device can't be found."

How many times have Dell users needed to wipe their drives clean and reinstall the operating system? Personally, I've

done it a handful of times and have talked many others through it. Macs are more stable - period. Working with huge

image files of 30-50MB, you need stability all of the time. I've had experiences where I've open a huge file into

photoshop on my dell (which was a high-end XPS Dell with lots of memory, etc.) and the system froze while applying an

effect. I've never experienced that on my Mac.

What also operates smoother on a Mac than Windows - the operating system. Far less frozen programs, everything is

full integratabtle, you can move files in/out of every program without any issues. Wireless networks are picked up

instantly, the .mac service now allows for seamless push/pull technology to update address book, calendars, mail, etc.

without the need for expensive servers. Apple customer service is outstanding. You call, they answer your question.

You can take your computer to an Apple store and sit down with a tech who will teach you, one-on-one how to do things.

Where are you with Dell? (and believe me, I've had probably 15+ Dells over the years and was very loyal). You call

customer service and they can't help you - ever. They tell you to call Microsoft when it MAY be an operating system

problem. Blah.

Dave, if you love your window's machines - please stick with them. But in a forum such as this, when someone asks for

opinions on what computer to use, then you need to be open to listening to others that may have feelings that differ from

yours. You say that you don't have an axe to grind, but it certainly sounds like you do.

For photography, my OPINION will always be a Mac.

While I understand your point of view, I don't have images that freeze on any of my systems....and those are files

from 18mb to 660mb scans of 4x5. I also have never had "driver cannot be found" on any equipment I have

attached. As well, I've never had to reinstall operating systems nor have I had Vista or XP prove unstable.

What this sounds like are poorly setup systems.....nothing to do with the quality of Windows.

What I've found over the years is that when a Windows system does crash, people scream that Windows is

garbage. When a Mac system crashes, people state "that's computers for ya."

Buy a good quality system of either, and you'll be fine. But always keep in mind that software developers aim for the

most users first, and then come out with Mac versions if they feel the need. Anyone wanting 64bit Photoshop

knows exactly what this means.

As to Dell, I've only heard bad things.

Regards.

Dave,

It's not appropriate for us to continue debating the PC/Mac war - it's done everywhere. There are loyalists on both sides

as there are Canon and Nikon users. All I can tell you is that if you've never experienced an unstable operating system,

a device that can't be found or a problem with bad driver, you're one of the very few (in fact, go buy a lottery ticket).

Don't take my word for it, it's a common fact that Windows is not NEARLY as stable as Mac - proven time and time

again through professional testing.

In terms of my personal systems not being set up properly? I assure you that they were set up correctly.

I think the real issue is that Windows users are sick of people raving about how wonderful their Mac is. Loyal PC users

feel that Apple has in some way brainwashed users to believe that Apple is a far superior system and take offense when

Mac loyalists express it. Look, people have opinions. Some like Apple, some like Windows. Some like Chocolate,

some like Vanilla. Personally, I'm a very computer savvy professional who has been working on PCs for 20 years,

started in DOS and was there when the first Windows platform came out. I was an avid PC user and always talked down

about Mac due to their lack of software. But now, I'm all Mac - I have a new MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro Desktop -

love them both and everything about them. I still have my Dell XPS, but only because of software that requires

Windows to operate. Keep in mind, Apple serves a different market than Windows - they really have captured students

and artists. Walk into a financial firm and it's still all PC. Apple's marketing is outstanding. The company is a true

innovator - they attract newbies and those interested in cutting edge technology. They have an advantage and a leg up

in this regard. But fret not Dave, the PC will be here for a long time and there will be many of those who fully support

your opinions.

Best regards -

"Can you please tell me where I'm being closed minded?

Sure, Dave. Go back and take a good look. First you made the remark about there being 8 Mac users, which is just plain

silly. To say that it was only an exaggeration is an understatement. Just because there are more PC users, so what?

There are more Christians in this country than any other religion, so are we going to denigrate other religions because

they're in the minority?

Lets not forget your crazy challenge for someone to show you that Mac was better than Windows. Many posters have

told you about the issues they have had with PCs, and your only response is that YOU haven't had any of those issues.

That puts you squarely in the decided minority, Dave.

Then you made ridiculous remarks about Apple's Mac commercials. For what, what's up with that? If you don't know it,

those commercials have been VERY effective, you're embarrassing yourself . Microsoft has recently spent millions to

combat those commercials, with 10 million to Seinfeld alone, for a couple of commercials, and they didn't work! Why is it

that we need to talk about those commercials? Because you lack objectivity when it comes to Macs. Nobody here cares

about those commercials!

You posted bogus, because they were solved LONG AGO, security issues about OS X. do you need more examples of

your bias wiping out your credibility?

Can't we have a conversation without your nasty Mac remarks? Try staying reasonable, if you want folks to pay attention

to what you say.

First off, if you read my post, the 8 or 9 users refers to 8 or 9% of users. Makes sense now doesn't it?

As to the ads being effective....yes. If lying to potential purchasers is what you mean, then yes. The ads have suggested that PCs are only good for spreadsheets. That your latest MP3 or camera won't connect to a PC when it can to a Mac. There are so many flaws in the ads as to be make them laughable. I can't even begin to count how many outright lies I've spotted in them. I've had cameras and MP3 players and printers that have had just as many issues with connectivity on a Mac as PC.

Now, if pointing out the lies to people is closed minded, then so be it. I'm not embarrassing myself. In fact, supporting an ad campaign based upon fallacy actually embarrasses you.

As to your claims, where did I mention security issues with the Mac? I didn't. Read it again before you make comments as to my credibility.

Finally, it has been said and agreed that Photoshop, my scanners, my printers all work just as well on either platform. If the best one can do is mention a drag and drop.....which by the way works with most items on a PC as well, then a case has hardly been made in a Macs favor.

So, once again, when a question is posed as to how a Mac will work better with a photographers photos in Photoshop, their scanners, or their printers, the best Mac users can come up with is that actually, it's the same.....but maybe you can drag and drop a picture more (hows that for a selling feature) and you got an ad campaign that stretches the truth, lies, and has even been pulled from some markets. And as I pointed out, instead of really answering someone with REAL benefits, Mac users tend to go on the defensive and attack the person. Why is that....maybe because the benefits they harp on about are really there afterall.

Doesn't sound like it's me who's biased.

First thing - I am a returning (old) graphics design/photography college student. I have been using Windows at home since 1994, and use a Mac at school. Quite frankly, I like the PCs better. I find the MACs annoying, especially using Photoshop UI. the MACs at school have 3gb of ram and are running Leopard. They crash sometimes. I recently replaced my XP x32 PC with a Vista x64 we built with a quad core processor and a board capable of holding 16gb of ram. I have 8gb loaded now. I love it. I have disabled all the annoying crap. It never crashes, and my 4 or 5 gigabyte panoramas, made of 100+ files, load in less than a minute, instead of 20 minutes or never on the other machines. With these large files loaded Photoshop CS4 (x64) uses about 5.5gb of ram with no conflicts with anything else that is running, usually including InDesign and Illustrator.

I say go for the Vista x64, but get a decent PC tech who knows how to configure it so it runs at utmost efficiency. There is also a lot of info on the web about tuning up your Vista OS so that it is sleek and fast.

Curious, since I've never had leopard, or it's predecessor Tiger, crash ever. I have had programs crash, but not the OSen.

It makes me wonder what is going on to make that happen. Are those Macs networked? What programs are running when

the OS crashes? Have the OS crashes been reported to Apple? Sorry, but I don't know anyone, out of several hundred Mac

users I know that have ever had OS 10.4 or 10.5 crash, so you can understand why I am surprised.

Mac crashes are generally memory related. Like PC's, it's users usually demanding too much from a

limited system. Other Mac crashes seem to come from plugging in external devices. "Mac crashes" certainly brings

up enough google results. I presume you didn't do a search?

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1CHMG_enCA291CA303&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-

8&q=mac+crashes

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/when-your-mac-crashes

How does one possibly know "several hundred Mac users"?

Since when are 30-50mb image files "huge?" Try 450mb from our digital LF. We have no problem with crashes on our PC's. It is a simple case of people using old technology of one brand - then "seeing the light," buying a new model of the competition, and, shockingly, it is so much better! There is no data to show that Mac is a better platform. As for Mac's being for "artists." That has to be the most absurd idea being promoted here. Of course, if you consider the lives of historic artists - they were, generally, in poverty due to immediate waste of any money their work brought in - so maybe that applies to Mac purchasers. :P

<p>i'm on a budget so PC is my choice. this is what i'm getting from Dell for $775:<br>

Intel quad core Q6600 2.4gz, 6gb DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeon HD3650 256mb graphics card, 640gb SATA hard drive, 20" wide screen monitor, Vista 64-bit.<br>

cost of apps is not an issue. i already have everything i need. i just need to re-install on the new machine. i'm confident that i won't have any issues photo editing on this system.</p>