I'm having unusual effects while scanning

hello.<br>

i'm having troubles with scanning film. here is an example of what i get <A

href="http://www.kostyanakazny.com/scans/Film_Lares_truck.jpg">Riding On Top of a Rock Truck.</A><br>

here is my set up:<br>

Scanner - EPSON Perfection 2450 photo (it's an old one but used to work ok)<br>

Document type - Film<br>

Film Type - Color Negative<br>

Image Type - 24-bit Color<br>

Scanning Quality - Best<br>

Resolution - 720<br>

Target Size - 11X8.5<br>

Trimming - Off<br>

in the configuration, under Color tab i have Color Control selected and Continuous Auto Exposure selected.

Dusplay Gamma - 1.8. Auto Exposure Level bar is in the middle. <br>

what am i doing wrong? out of 8 frames i got one relatively good and the rest with varying level of

discolorations and areas with squares and lines like in the example. also, what size should i set for the Target

Size? 11X8.5 produces 108 Mb files. i'd like to print no larger then 10X8 in. the photos are not professional,

just traveling images from 4 months in Peru.<br>

i will appreciate any information. <br>

thank you.

I just set dpi, never target size. Editing and resizing for print in PS.

Resolution 720? If that's dpi it's very low, not good for 8x10, more like 4x6 and even that's not at full 300dpi print resolution. Try at least 1200. 2400 is enough for very nice 8x10 but I have no idea what your scanner's actual resolution is, it may top around 1200. Make test scans and see if you get more information or just bigger mess.

the scanner has a limit of 1200. after setting the target size back to "Original" and dpi 1200 it worked more or less ok. i still get desaturated yellows and greens, but the reds are beautiful and natural. i'll see if i can fix it and if not i'll post it here.<br>thank you.<br>KN