How do you make colours pop?

kylie_black

Hi guys,

In the albums of the many talented photographers on photo.net the photos just scream off the page with really vivid

colours. How is this achieved? Is this effect generally done through post production or can you get close enough

directly through settings on your camera?

A few months ago, I switched my new dlsr to manual and am working my way trying to achieve the results I am after

using just my camera as possible but even through adjustments after the fact, eg, hue/saturation, I don't really think

the colour in the pictures compares to the images I'm looking at.

Thanks for your advice!

Hi, Kylie.

Yes, most of the colors are post shoot. It also helps to have a subject that is colorful. There is an image of a red pepper in my portfolio that is directly out of my camera. I have only cropped the image size so it fits on photo.net. The red seems to be bright because of the strong contrast with the white background.

A bit of contrast can do wonders for your colours. Use curves or some other contrast adjusting tool to increase contrast a bit, or just dial it in on your camera's preferences.

The other approach you can try is a LAB adjustment of colour (LAB is a different way of representing colour in an image from the usual method of RGB). This is a bit more advanced, but if you have the will to learn it, it can produce some nice results. Alternatively, the same thing can be achieved in Adobe's software called LightRoom by using the vibrance slider.

Haven't got LightRoom yet, Bernie, but have been trying to find somewhere to buy it - looks like online may be the go.

Thanks for the link Michael, certainly giving me a few ideas of things to try.

Thanks again guys. Gives me some things to try out on my images and see what works.