Trigger/Commander for 430ex or 580ex ii

chinmaya

I am shopping for 430ex / 580ex ii. For me its very important to use the flash off the camera.

I prefer a wireless mechanism for it ... I am not intending to buy trigger+receiver combination.

I am looking for commander/trigger/transmitter which can directly communicate with 430ex or 580ex's

wireless slave feature.

Do you know of any other than Canon ST-E2 ?

I don't mind 3rd party or even from ebay?

Thanks

Chinmaya

Your choice of commanders are 550EX, 580EX, ST-E2, MR-14EX, and MT-24EX from Canon, the last two are macro flashes and probably wont help you much. Sigma makes two flashes (actually they probably just make the latest one to replace the previous) 500 and 530 DG super, double check the specs to make sure they can act as master.

The ST-E2 is the cheapest unused Canon item and the Sigma flashes are probably just a tad cheaper.

I've used a ST-E2 since 1998 with excellent results. You merely have to observe line-of-sight outdoors. In doors it will

trigger almost anywhere (even 15 feet behind the ST-E2) if a light colored wall, floor or ceiling is around you. Oddly I originally bought it merely for AF assist but mainly use it to trigger 2 430EX.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

You might want to look at http://radiopopper.com/. They sell a device that converts the Canon E-TTL wireless system to a radio transmitter/receiver system. It retains all metering and features of the E-TTL system, but allows it to shoot at far greater distances and around corners, etc. The downside is high cost and you still need a Canon master device for a signal to convert to radio.

I have both of the above flashes, and also the ST-E2. If I were to do it again I would just get a 580 and a 430. Remember that the 580 can act as a master, meaning that you automatically get optical triggering when you buy those two flashes. You don't need anything else.

After you use and understand the system, you may want a third flash or the ST-E2. But remember that the ST-E2 can only act as a master, whereas if you get a full flash (550 or 580), you get a flash plus built-in master.

I also use radiotriggers (pocketwizards), but they do add an element of complexity that you don't see with Canon's optical triggering. Upgrading to radiotriggers offers more latitude, range, and reliability, but more complexity and cost. And when you go with radiotriggers you venture into manual flash territory, losing any hope of ETTL (unless you dive into the new radiopopper option).