Need help deciding on lens vs. Camera

Hello,<br><br>My present lens collection includes:

<br>1. Canon 18-55mm EF-S<br>2. Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8<br>3. Canon 100mm F/2.0 USM

<br><br>I shoot weddings and portraits. My copy of the 18-55mm EF-S lens is sharp enough that I was able to take

a decent

group photo of 37 people at 18mm and F/7.0. The Tamron 28-75mm lens is used to run around in weddings and do all

types of stuffs. The 100mm lens is used for special portraits and is also a very sharp lens. I am looking for a

possible 4th lens to add to my collection. I was thinking of either the Canon 35mm Any ideas? If I were to buy a

lens, I want a lens that will make my pictures stand out. I cannot afford an L-series lens, but I am sure that

there are equivalents out there that are close enough.

<br><br>I was thinking of one of the following:

<br>1. Canon 50mm F/1.4

<br>2. Sigma 30mm F/1.4 (received some bad reviews)

<br>3. Canon 35mm F/2.0

<br><br>

My Camera is a Canon Rebel XT 350d (8.0 MP) camera.

<br>

Or, am I better off going investing my money into the

Canon Rebel XSi, and sell my present Rebel XT?

<br>

Budget for lens: $300-600

<br>

Budget for Camera: up to $800

<br>

Any input would be appreciated.

<br>

Thank you

To be brutally honest here, do you charge for your wedding work?

If I saw somebody arriving for a wedding shoot with a 350D I would start to worry. It was a good little camera in it's day and you may be an excellent photographer but that camera just doesn't inspire confidence any more.

I would suggest forget about lenses for now and obtain a 40D or 50D, even if it is a secondhand 40D. Serious wedding guys would even consider this to be a bit basic but it just about looks the part. Then keep your 350D for an emergency spare as the previous answer advises.

Geoff you would not believe how many wedding photographers I see with sub par gear. I work in the industry ( not as a

photographer ) and I rarely see L lenses or even good lenses. The last 3 guys I saw 2 of them had 18-55 kit lenses and

they used them all night. The other had a 28-135. That being said I strongly suggest a second body ( 40D is what I would

get ) as well as back up to flash units, memory cards etc.

If your are shooting wedding I'd get the 40D if it would only be a hobby I'd get better glass. A 40D would be the sensible thing to get. You did not mentioned if you have a flash on your set up, most likely you do,but don't forget about the flash.

Alex

Snake, If it was me I'd get the XSi and the Canon 17-55mm IS or the Tamron 17-50mm lens to go with it and use the XT as a backup camera. If you are used to the XT the XSi will be already familiar to you. I have the 18-55mm IS lens and in low light you have to work really really hard to get good images. I like it to carry on the street because it is small and light. It's a pretty good lens for a buck seventy but if I made money with my equipment I'd have good equipment. I nearly always get good pictures with my 17-55mm IS 2.8. JMNHO of course!

Not necessarily. John Irving became a writer.

Personally I'd opt for a second camera. I haven't used any of the proposed cameras so I can't recommend one over another. But if the main camera died at a wedding, even a good P&S would be better than nothing.

For lenses, you might look at something wider than 18mm, which isn't really very wide.

Jake, you really need both camera and lenses, I'm afraid.

30D and 20D might be an option, for less money. Leaving more for the lenses, that way.

You really should have a 50/1.4 for portraits.

Wider/fast for couples, full length portraits and groups.... Sigma 30/1.4 or the Canon 28/1.8 would be my choice instead of the Canon 35/2. The Canon 35/1.4L is a great lens, but pretty pricey.

Work on replacing the 18-55 with something better, too... The IS version is a nice upgrade, but there are others to consider as well. You lack anything very wide. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make some good wide zooms. Personally I like the Tokina 12-24 about the best of the bunch, and it's wide enough for my purposes.

Hate to ask... How are you set for flashes?

Jake, I have to agree with Alan M regarding bodies, glass and flash. For prints an 8Meg body can do well up to 8x10, if that is your target range the 20D or 30D would be a good primary body and your xt the backup. Leaving more room for glass and flash. For good yet budget glass you should look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 to replace the 18-55, the Sigma 30 f1.4 for low light normal view, as well as something for wide angle. If you get good glass now you can upgrade the bodies when you are able.

Hello all,<br><br>Thank you for your responses. I am not Jake the Wrestler with the snake. Very funny photo though.

<br><br>Alan, as for the Flash, I use a 580EX Canon Speedlite. It serves it's purpose very well, especially in

low light situations.

<br><br>At present I have only one body, the 3 lenses and a 580EX Canon Speedlite. A second body would be the

next reasonable move along with the IS kit lens. After that, I would probably get the 50mm F/1.4.

<br><br> Anymore ideas are welcome.

<br><br>Thanks