Moving up to a SLR from point and shoot

anita_klimek

Hi Everyone, I'm in the market to get a SLR camera and I've pretty much settled on NIkon after reading some

reviews. HOWEVER, All the specs are making my head spin. I basically want something I can learn from and

something that will "grow" with me. I was looking at the Nikon D 40, D60, and D80. Does anyone have any thoughts

on there?!? I know the question is pretty general but here's what i want to take picture of: mainly indoors of people,

Chicago at night, babies/kids playing, and food. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Id prefer to go with the D40 or D60

cause they are less expensive.

Chicago at night? Are you talking about the Loop?

Your choices make sense, Anita, but given what you want, maybe it'd be better to decide on either according to these

criteria:

Which camera can use more lenses? The D40 was designed to use ONLY type G lenses, which are silent, sleek and

nice, but there are not very many of them. It can take other types, but you won't get autofocus with them. If you can

live with focusing manually, you have a lot of choices.

Which camera has a better performance with high ISO values? Given that you want to photograph with available light,

this is an important consideration.

As for lenses... you may buy the kit zoom that comes with the camera (if and when the camera is sold as a package), or

pick another one. Since you are interested, as you said, in candid shots indoors, babies, kids, food and night shots,

you'll need a zoom with a wide range and a small aperture. In fact, the smallest aperture you can find, which is

expressed by the number after the F (like f3.5). Remember that the smaller the better.

Finally, since you want a camera with which you'll grow, I'd say to go for the more "complicated" model rather than stick

to the simple one. The apparent complications of the sophisticated camera become open doors later, as you get familiar

with a certain photography style and want to do more. Say, with the D60 you will eventually learn about some

unexplored features that will help you improve. The D40 will work well for you too... but how much can you "grow" when

the camera offers no challenges?

Why don't you drop by Central Camera and ask them to let you handle some cameras and lenses? Then, you can also

buy from them; nothing beats dealing with a living individual in a case like this, and not placing your order with a

computer and then wonder if you did well.

The D40 has better high ISO characteristics than the D60, but it is 6.1Mp v. 10.2 for the D60. However, 6.1 Mp

is plenty unless you need to print very large or crop a lot; I love my D40.<p>

Both will use <b>all</b> AF-S lenses, not just G-type.<p>

The D80 can use all the AF lenses.

They are quite capable cameras and you will not be disappointed. The downside to all is they will not meter meter with

anything but autofocus lenses and will not autofocus with any lenses that do not have the motor in the lens. These

cameras are small if you have big hands, but that also makes them nice for day hikes and vacation. For 8x10 pic, the is

no significant difference in any. If you want 11x14, get the D40X or D60.

Almost any Nikon lens ever made will mount and you can manually focus. Just the exotics like 8mm cause a problem

and the 20 mm that requires a mirror lock up. A hand held meter will work fine. if you loose metering

Buy the D60 with a 16/85 lens if you have the money. Add the 55/200 or 70/300 if you want a longer tele. The latter is a

better made lens, but still not pro class.

As is typical of most products, a slightly more capable camera begins to cost lots more money.

A D90 is a better camera if you want to use it in very low light. A D700 is even better yet. But for flash family pics and

vacation pics, you can be happy with the D40/60.

By grow with you , I assume learn a bit more than the basics about photography. Depending how advanced you are

now, you will learn quite a bit about photography with these cameras. Sometime down the line you may want a better

camera. Just keep in mind it is the photographer and light that makes the picture, not the camera.

I am talking about Chicago as in the Loop. Where is Central Camera? I'm VERY new to the SLR world but I really don't feel like reading 3 books and then getting a camera. (I'm not of who ever read the VCR manual so the descriptions are still fuzzy to me and the meanings of what everything means but I guess where's no way to learn then to just start). In reagards to teh flash, do most SLR's have an included flash? THe monitor (like the one on my cybershot) does that show the same as the eye hole (I know, I'm very technical)? I don't plan to print anything larger than 8x11 (at least for now)

Either a D40 or D60 would be perfect for your first SLR. My son has a D40 and he produces excellent images with it. It's a smaller body, too, so it's not too difficult to carry about. It does have a small built-in flash, but it's not very powerful. Probably fine for you to get started, though.

The kit lens that comes with the D40 is quite decent. Use it a bit and then decide if you want a telephoto.

Central is on west side of Wabash about three stores north of Jackson Blvd.

Don`t let the appearance put you off. It is a good and honerable store. The building is old and Don has a hard time keeping it clean.

D40/40x,D60 D80 D200 are all basically the same image quality. The next generation is D90, D300, D700, D3 and they are all similar and a step above the first batch in image quality.

Helix is at Racine and Jackson and Calumet is is at 1111 Cherry Street on Goose Island. Take the BN west to La Grange Road and you will find La Grange Camera and Video. These are all good stores where I do business. Lg camera&video is not always open Sat afternoon so call.

>the smallest aperture you can find, which is expressed by the number after the F (like f3.5).<

Not quite right. The smallest apertures - openings - are the larger numbers: f/16, f/22, etc. The largest apertures are the smaller numbers, such as 3.5.

These numbers are ratios, and would more properly read as 1/3.5, or 1/22 - as fractions, it's easy to see which is the smallest aperture. By convention - and to save space on the old lens barrels that had f/stops listed - the "1/" symbol is dropped.

As for which camera you get, it's the photographer, not the equipment. Each of the cameras you listed are excellent. You have more options/easy access to controls with the D80, but the D40 is a very lightweight, easy to carry camera. Well, photography is like life - often compromise is necessary.

Keep reading, learn more about lenses. As you grow in knowledge/skill with your camera, so you begin to understand more about your lens/lenses - what you can do, and what you can't do with the lens/lenses you have.

I just wanted to caution you...without reading at least three books about photography, all you are going to get a very expensive point and shoot. And it won't matter what lens or body you have.

My sister has the D40x and I have D80, and they are both awesome cameras. However, I have spent countless hours pouring over the manual, books about exposure, and composition, and books that are supposed to be a more clear camera guide than the manual.

I don't like being stuck in the green auto box mode...and I am not technical, although I am pretty good at unjamming a copy machine. :)

Best of Luck!

p.s. I was recently in Chicago, and WOW, what a cool city! I used a point and shoot - long story about why - and my photos came out so much better from my studies on my DSLR. If only I'd had my DLSR...

Depending on your budget, I suggest you consider getting the D60 over the D40 as the former has the latest technology such as the Active D-Lighting and EXPEED image processor to allow you to get better results. I will also suggest that you only get the D60 body (about $400) without the usual kit lens as it is too slow for sharp indoor shots without flash. For the lens, you may want to look into the new Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 BIM - built-in-motor (about $350) that will auto-focus with the D60. This is a good portrait lens even for indoor without flash and it will give you constant f/2.8 throughout its entire focal lengths - very versatile.

<i>In reagards to teh flash, do most SLR's have an included flash? THe monitor (like the one on my cybershot) does that show the same as the eye hole</i>

<p>

Most of the lower end SLR's have a pop up flash, most of the more expensive ones do not. A pop up flash usually takes away from the space available for the viewfinder optics and can make the viewfinder marginally less 'nice' to look through (not a big deal for 90% of photographers, a deal breaker for some).

<p>

As you advance your skills, you'll probably want an accessory flash for more range, less red-eye and the ability to bounce the light off the ceiling. The built-in flash will still be nice for snapshots and it's always with you.

<P>

The monitor on the back of the camera for an SLR generally does *not* preview the image before you shoot. It's the nature of the SLR that there is a big honking mirror in the way before you actually take the image. The up side of this is that is what makes the viewfinder (eye hole) work so much better on these than on most point and shoots. Note that a handful of the newer SLRs (D90, others?) have a new feature called "live view" which acts more like a point and shoot, but it's probably not how the camera will be used 90% of the time.

If you would like to mainly stay as a "point and shoot" type photographer but with a better camera, I think either the D40 or D60 would be the better choice. If you are interested in becoming a better photographer, you should out-grow the D60 in a matter of months to a year. In that sense you probably want a D80 that will give you more advanced features.

The D40/D60 are smaller cameras; the D80 is larger and has a lot more controls. As Kira points out, if you get a D80, you'll need to spend some time to read the manual and play around with it in order to get the most out of that camera.

Also consider a book like understanding exposure just to get a better handle on the basics of what any SLR can do. You

will enjoy it so much more then a point and click once you get going.

Also, and this is very important, keep in mind that any decent body will do just fine as long as you get some good lenses.

Since most of what your interested in shooting is low light I would say start with something like a Tamron 17-50 2.8.

And by the way I am in Chicago too, Calumet is very good but for the best prices you will do better at amazon or adorama

or reputable online dealers. ( no tax or shipping as well )

I can vouch for the D80 as an excellent choice. It has automatic when you are taking photos of the kids and full

manual when you want to be creative. You can also still find some new ones but they are going fast.

For specific examples of photos take in Chicago, even some at night:

<a href="http://goldstein.smugmug.com/gallery/5631165_GwVrM/1/346042638_5xGz2">Chicago Portfolio</a>

The D40 has many 'advanced' features, too. It's just that you'll have to go into the menus sometimes because they aren't built into external dials. You can easily set aperture and shutter speed - important for controlling depth of field and motion effects. But it doesn't have a built-in controller for the Nikon flash system.

Kind of funny that 'advanced' film cameras didn't even have built-in light meters. Even more amazing that such fantastic images were produced with those 'primitive' cameras ;)