Upgrading my iMac's memory?

I want to increase my iMac (20" White 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo) memory from the current 1GB, which it came with, to the maximum 3GB.

I have been looking at Crucial's website and using their Adviser facility to find out the the correct memory to buy. This comes up with a

2GB Kit (1GBx2). However if I click on the "show all compatible options button" a further one just designated 2GB i.e. not a 1GBx2 Kit is

shown. This is slightly cheaper than the first option.

I would like to know what is the difference between these. Is it, I'm guessing here, that the 2GB Kit version allows you to replace 1GB if it

fails whereas with the 2GB (non Kit) you would have to replace all of it?

The instructions in my iMac booklet (it doesn't deserve to be called a manual!) make adding memory look very easy. However if you have

added memory to your iMac are there any things that I should watch out for and which of the upgrade options would you recommend?

to get 3G, you're going to end up having to remove what you have. The 3G limit is an unfortunate side effect of

the internal chipset in that generation machine but what it really means is that you'll have to get 1x 1GB & 1x 2GB

memory sticks. you could do 2x 2G but you won't be able to use all of it.

Howard didn't quite understand your post so I had a look at "about this Mac" on my iMac and it shows the following:-

BANK 0/DIMM0 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz

I think I understand now - each of the memory slots has a 512 MB of memory in it so that I will have to remove both and

replace them with IGB and 2GB. Is that correct? The iMac booklet doesn't make this clear.

Go to the Apple menu, click on "about this Mac", then click on "more info" in the pane that come up. All of the info about your Mac is listed

there, and it will tell you what the memory configuration of your machine is. If you haven't changed it, then I'll bet the farm that you have 2

512 MB modules.

I just recently upgraded two iMac's with memory from Crucial - far less expensive than buying from Apple. Performance

has been just fine. The main thing with memory replacement is to make sure you get the board inserted in the slot

correctly so all the contacts match up. The little board has a slot in it that helps you make sure it's inserted correctly (there

is a top and bottom!). And make sure you ground yourself before handling the memory boards so you don't fry them.

Obviously you'll want to have the computer turned off and unplugged. All of this is outlined in the Apple manual or you can

get instructions online.

Here's a video of how to install memory on your iMac. You don't need a grounding strap to deal with memory in that

model, but try not to touch the metal edge of the memory modules. Be SURE that the screwdriver you use matches the

screw in the iMac to prevent striping the head.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/imac/imacl.html

Your iMac can use 3 GB of ram, BUT, if you want max performance, Mac memory should be matched. So, that means

buying 2-2 GB modules. Your iMac will only use 3 GB, but, it will gain a performance boost over using unmatched

memory modules. Here's a link to such modules, and I would go with the OWC $54.9 choice. OWC memory is

guaranteed for life, and it's well regarded in the industry. Good luck.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

"Your iMac can use 3 GB of ram, BUT, if you want max performance, Mac memory should be matched."

I have the same generation iMac as Robin has. and Robin you want to stick with the 1Gb + 2Gb combination. the reason is that the way Intel designed this Core 2 Duo processor processor it uses just over 400Mb of the second RAM address for internal purposes . Starting with the generation of iMacs that came just after ours this is no longer the case and you can use 2Gb + 2GB RAM.

Like Carl, I also get my extra RAM from OWC.

Thanks Carl and Ellis - it is just as well that I posted this question as it has brought to light a number of issues that I wasn't

aware of.

I have watched the OWC video and note that they say that memory replacement with the mid 2007 model is easier than

with the model that I (and Ellis) have! Unfortunately they don't have a video for that model.

I have seen a number of recommendations on photonet for OWC memory but it doesn't seem to be available here in the UK

so it looks like it will have to be Crucial.

Carl - I had read the instructions in my iMac booklet but viewing the OWC video you told me about was useful because it

mentions something the booklet does not - the need to be careful when removing the old memory from my model as it can

jam. Presumably that is why Apple changed the design of the memory compartment on later models.

Thanks again for your help.