e-410 thoughts?

jeffreylee1

I know time flies in the digital world...but hey- it's only about 1 1/2 yrs old max. I bought one when they first came out. It replaced my E-10 which was still taking great photos, but was s-l-o-w. Don't get all caught up in one or two features being available in a newer camera body. Get to know the 410 for a while and then customize it to your needs thru the menu. The one or two people that I have heard didn't like it that much didn't even know they could change what they didn't like in the menus. It is capable of terrific images. The custom image modes work well too and are not just a gimmick.

Two months ago I got a two lens 410 kit on close out.

I love it, despite having far fewer AF points than my Pentax K100d, it focuses far faster and much more quietly. The kit lens are scary sharp and the dust removal system WORKS!

If one reads the manual and some reviews; changing the default settings make huge difference. I love the Image Quality and speed of the little camera.

Best bang for the buck IMHO<div>00RaKR-91437784.jpg.6e16396288533a6497ba5269d59dace3.jpg</div>

<P>I've had an E-410 since August. Prices dropped dramatically when the E-420 came along, which is funny because there are few differences. Anyway, it's a fine little camera and I have had no problems with it.The image quality with the kit lens (14-42 mm) is superb. The high ISO performance is limited by today's standards, but frankly I never used anything over ISO 800 in the film era so I do not feel constrained by the 1600 top limit here. I use Minolta Rokkor lenses on it with an adapter and again the results are very pleasing.</P> <P>There are probably better dSLRs out there but this one does everything I need and as Lili put it, the bang for the buck is unbeatable.</P>

The E-410 is a lovely camera. It does not have many of the features and do-dads available on more expensive/newer cameras, but it produces some phenomenal images.

I have no idea how this is actually possible in this digital age, but there is a definite 'look' to 410 images IMO and I can often pick them out in flickr groups without even opening them.

Take a look at Lili's image above and the one attached to this post... then go on a E-410 image search... check the EXIF data and learn how people using the camera have adjusted them. Read the review at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse410/ for set-up tips... there is much more to this little giant than many would have you believe...

One word of warning... it IS an entry level DSLR and to get it to jump through hoops you need to really learn how to use it. When you start wishing for more sophisticated controls, then it is time to look further up the line. But, I suspect I will be using and carrying my 410 for a long time to come, no matter what else I carry.

Have fun with your new oly & welcome to the club!<div>00RauZ-91735684.jpg.206802aef270f303210d8dae07ca365a.jpg</div>

Ron is correct, there is indeed a 'look' to these images.

One must, however, alter the factory settings which are heavliy weighted to noise reduction/removal to the cost of

detail.

As a veteran Ricoh GRD user, fine, tight, grain like noise is not intimidating to me at all.

And the image quality resulting from such changes is well worth it.<div>00RcIZ-92395584.jpg.08490c741b82fd0a0107fd8ca315adc4.jpg</div>

I'm waiting for my e-420 + 25mm f/2.8 combo to arrive in the mail. I'll use it as a go-everywhere camera (not quite a P&S I know) to

complement my Canon gear. I wonder if you guys could post some of the settings you mention here to help me get started?

Hmmm... my battery is in the charger, but I usually turn off the 'noise reduction' (Should have called it detail destroyer) and the sharpness is set to -2.

I shoot only RAW and find these settings perfectly acceptable up to ISO 800.

Have fun with your new baby!