AI Servo vs AI Focus with 100-300 5.6L / 40D

eric_freedman

So, I know that this question has been asked numerous times before..

I seem to have better luck with focus using AI Focus even though AI Servo has been recommended. I take a lot of

baseball shots of my two sons and their teams.

I have tried a few times - focusing on the static player at the plate and then tracking the player running after a hit, and

I get blurry shots in servo mode. My shutter speed is up there - 1/1000 + to stop the action - so I shouldn't have

camera shake.

I'm just wondering if it is the lens - given that it is the old slow grindy 100-300 5.6L. Any thoughts? Let me know. If

I have a chance maybe I will try to rent the 70-200 L just to see, but the fall season is over for now.

Thanks.

I used to own the EF 100-300 5.6L. It was a great budget telezoom for landscapes and other static objects. I have many

sharp sunsets and mountain scenes on my wall from the early 90s and that lens. Sorta a poor man's 100-400 L. It ain't

worth a damn for AI servo or when perky AF is needed. I'd have to say it has Canon's slowest and poorest AF ever--bar

none. The poky front element extension and old AF motor just don't cut it. Hell even the manual ring is so gritty and coarse

you can hardly MF.

Do yourself a favor and sell that old plastic pipe to a landscape photog and treat yourself to a modern telezoom with

internal or rear element focus and ring-type USM, e.g., 70-200 4L IS USM or 70-200 4L USM. AF will rip like a raped ape.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi Eric,

You didn't mention what camera... some have better AF than others.

But, yeah, it's the lens. That what's keeping AI Servo from noticeably outperforming AI Focus.

AI Focus sucks and hasn't been used on any of my cameras since I tried it a few years ago and saw my in-focus keeper rate drop like a rock.

Keep your credit card handy, you'll end up buying the 70-200, once you see the difference.

Whatever you do, don't rent the 70-200/2.8 IS or it will cost you even more.

Thanks for the responses.

I like the reach of the 300mm. So, at some point I might get the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4x extender (from what I have read - not much degradation of quality vs the 2x extender which does).

I get pretty good results with what I have now - the lens is not that bad. Just couldn't figure out whether it was the lens, me or the camera. Tried the 100-400 - didn't like it that much even though it is push pull like the 100-300. So, when I can afford it, and I would like to get through the end of 2009 - to make sure I still have my day job with this crazy economy, I might take the plunge.

Thanks all.<div>00Ra67-91311684.JPG.153003aa820bd24368d59a2d81e3f435.JPG</div>

The 'Coffee Grinder' (100-300L) is a great fit with the 1.6x DSLRs (xxD, xD). The main weakness, noticeable

vignetting at 300 mm @ f5.6 in scenes with lots of sky, largely dissappears because of the cropped sensor. The

lack of a built-in tripod ring reduces the lens' appeal to serious landscape shooters. Not having IS will require the

travel photographer to crank up the camera's ISO. Autofocus, a system performance (body+lens), is not as robust

compared to the newer lenses, but I have managed to get some keepers. The 'Coffee Grinder' is probably not the

first choice for any single photography category, but in my opinion it is best suited for crop camera sports pictures.

It is the bargain price high image quality lens solution.<div>00RcTU-92495584.jpg.0e7029ccd6fe49c1526212a0ceba8e45.jpg</div>