Good workshops and seminars in the San Francisco area?

bakarichavanu

I really want to take my wedding photography skills to next level, and I think it would helpful to enroll in say a week long workshop. But it

seems like most of the workshop by the veteran photographers like David Ziser are held back east. So I'm looking for good seminars or

workshops held say in Bay Area. The mini-workshops (1-4hours) don't do much for me. I'm looking for ones that are more hands-on.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Lots of them where you live.

Do you belong to the PPA or WPPI? Does the PPA have a local affiliate in San Francisco? In Minneapolis our local

affiliate, the TCPPA, has monthly meetings with people brought in discussing topics important in the professional

photography industry.

You could also join/check with NAPP as they conduct seminars in many location throughout the year.

If you want to check out:

http://www.joebuissink.com/

He has his schedule for 2009 seminars.

San Francisco is a wonderful city. I'm sure you could find photographers who have seminars to help you.

Back in the 1970's I went to school for a while on treasure Island. I had my car with me and drove & saw and, of course,

took pictures of many of the beauty in your area.

Best to You!

I was thinking of Nadine when i wrote the question. Her suggestions in these forums are always very specific and practical. As for Joe

Buissink, on the other hand, his workshop are full fluff and little specifics. I traveled to San Fran once to participate in one of his

workshops, and it basically consisted of great slide show presentation of course very high end clients. He told of his success stories and

the all the passion he has for photography. So basically I paid $200 to hear and see what has said in magazine interviews and books

several times. I don't know, maybe I missed something, but I walked out of his "workshop" very disappointed. That's why I'm looking for a

very hands-one workshop where the instructor actually has you use your camera, instead of having you sit and look at his amazing photos.

So yeah, I'll check with Nadine to see if she offers a workshop. I bet she would be a great instructor; not just a slide show presenter.

No, no, folks... I shoot 'em, but don't do any rock star wedding photographer type seminars or anything. Not at that level, believe me. I've met Bambi Cantrell a couple of times. You might want to check out her schedule. Other than that, I'd try West Coast School--the one that sets up at Mills College for a week during the summer. Expensive, though. You might also want to contact Professional Photographers of Northern California.

Thanks Nadine, I just emailed you. I'll look into PP of Northern Calif. But don't under estimate your abilities. The type of

input you give in these forums definitely indicates you could put on a well done workshop. Like I said before, many of the

star presenters are overrated in my view. Yes they do very inspiring work, but that doesn't mean they have the ability to

teach what they do. Oftentimes, these presenters, in my view, are doing workshops to sell their brand. Nothing wrong with

them making money this way, but I just don't want to waste my money and not really learn anything practical from them.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback.

GGS http://goldengateschool.com/ is run by PPGBA http://www.ppgba.org/

Golden Gate School's

26th Anniversary Session returns to

Notre Dame/Belmont for 2009!

May 10-13, 2009 will be held at the original location of Golden Gate School from its founding in 1984 through 1996! Classes will be held at Notre Dame de Namur University (formerly called the College of Notre Dame), nestled in the rolling hills of Belmont on the San Francisco Peninsula, and home to one of the most spectacular Bay Area event venues to photograph, Ralston Hall.

GGS/Golden Gate School of Professional Photography

PO Box F San Mateo, CA 94402

goldengateschool@yahoo.com

650/548-0889

I used to be very active in both PPGBA and GGS they do a terrific job!

Good Luck!