No power

I have a S700 that I haven't used very much - mostly to make digital copies of large photographs for my website.

Tried to turn it on today with batteries inserted and with an AC adapter hook up - but nothing. The batteries and

adapter check out as good so the camera and/or the "power on" switch must be faulty.

Anybody ever have this problem? Any first hand knowledge of this kind of repair cost?

Thanks

It could be almost anything. You should still try a different battery in your camera or try your battery in a different camera to rule out battery issues. Also check for dirty battery terminals, both on the battery and in the camera.

Nobody could give you any sort of repair estimate without knowing what the problem is.

Russ, cameras usually have built-in protection against short circuits or faults causing high current draw. This is to prevent catastrophic failure causing fires. If, for example, the lens mechanism is jammed, the lens motor will draw high current thus tripping the protection circuit. <br><br>

It's a pretty sure bet if you get no sign of life using a known good battery and/or AC adapter as you've indicated, that it could be anything as Sarah indicated. <br><br>

On the other hand, since you haven't used it much and probably unfamiliar with its operation, there's a good chance it's working but you're in a mode where the LCD is blank. Have you tried a factory reset, or various operation modes? The owner's manual should have a troubleshooting section that can help.