17-55mm f/2.8 zoom question

gabriel_afana

I just got a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens from someone online. The zoom feels strange...in the middle of the zoom range, its very

easy to rotate the zoom ring. As it gets to teh extremes (55mm and 17mm), it becomes harder to rotate.

I assume this is because the 17-55 does one of those in-and-out zoom moves (where the end of the lens protrudes out, then

as you zoom in, the lens comes in then goes back out). However, I had a Quantitary (spelling?) that did the same thing and

the zoom ring on that one felt consistant the whole way - then again it also was a huge enormous 17-55.

thoughts?

I don't have that lens in front of me, but if I remember that correctly, the 17-55mm/f2.8 DX is at it physically shortest point around 35mm. From 35mm, regardless of whether you zoom towards 55mm or 17mm, the lens get physically longer (from head to tail, i.e. from the filter thread to the lens mount). Therefore, if you hold the lens vertically with the front of it pointing upward, starting from 35mm, regardless of which direction you zoom, you are working against gravity.

i'm embarrased to say this.. but I have a 17-55 on my desk that has only been a paperweight for the last six

months (hello ebay?) Shun is indeed correct.. the lens gets shortest and smoothest on the ring at about

35mm... and longer when focal lenght is either shorter or longer than 35mm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lens. Shame I don't use it anymore since switching from d2x to a d3 and a 24-70