OH-! my aching back-!

cyr_smith

Ok, I''ve heard over and over how carrying all that 4x5 camera equipment out to the boondocks is not something most people would want to

do. Well I thought about it and did a little comparison with my Canon EOS 1ds and 2 lenses and my 4x5 and 2 lenses and guess what?

The 35mm equipment outweighed my 4x5 by 1.5 lbs. Yes-!! I used the same tripod for both, same backpack for both... actual film weight

same as flash cards....etc.

Canon EOS 1ds = 36 oz.

Battery = 12.8 oz. (two each)

Lens EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM = 51.84 oz.

Lens EF 24mm F1.4 II USM = 23 oz.

Total 123.64 oz. = 7.72 lbs

Gandolfi Variant II = 70.4 oz.

Lens Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm w/lens board = 17 oz.

Lens Xenar 150mm w/lens board =6 oz.

3 4x5 film holders = 8 oz.

Total 101.4 oz. = 6.34 lbs

So, I think I'll shoot with my 4x5 today.

I don't get this "comparison". I have one 35mm lens (300mm f2.8) that outweighs my 4x5 (and it's a big 4x5, dual rail macro system) but that has nothing to do with going on the same "mission".

Two batteries for the 1Ds? Even with its highly flawed power system, one battery is over 300 shots. How many 4x5 shots do you take in an outing?

70-200mm f2.8? The 150mm is a normal, like a 50mm f1.4. And we won't even get into the 24mm f1.4.

"actual film weight same as flash cards" sure, if your packing for one single picture...

So, if you felt like shooting the 4x5, that's all the justification you need: no apples to lugnuts comparisons...

I tend to agree that it really depends on approach, personal style, and what one wishes to accomplish.

I've backpacked with 35mm, 6x9, and 4x5 all over the Southwest, Pacific Caost, and the Sierra range. I really have to decide what kindof a trip I am intending. Light enjoyable walking, or photogrpahy oriented type of outing, and perhaps more important is number of days, and distance. Food is heavy ! But you eat it as you go, and cameras and gear have to be carried in and carried out.

I have often just taken a 35mm with zoom and leave the tripod behind as it is ussually the one item that pushes the pack wieght over the top when leaving the trailhead. Packing 4x5 requires a bigger heavier more supportive tripod, period. Three film holders? Forget it. Ready loads and one holder for them enbales dust, trouble free shooting and less bulk and weight. But, and this is true with my 6x9 field kit I use most often, there is the off camera light meter, very heavy accessory esspecially if useing a spot meter, supplimental wide angle lens, and all the accessory filters a good outing requires, needed or not. Now, I believe it when one suggest these new digital SLR's are heavy, and battery power is a must, whereas I can shoot OK if my light meter were to go on the fritz with analog. A frindof mine described his digital kit when wanting to hike with me last year. Just for fun I asked him if he couldn't leave the battery pack in the car? I then proceeded to explain I intended to hike this last summer with my 3oz Holga and a very small pack !

<I>The problem lies with the backpack. One tends to fill it to capacity...</I><P>

I have a Lowe Super Trekker. When I first got it, I thought how wonderful that I could get all of that 35mm equipment into one bag. Of course, I couldn't picked the damn thing up after I got it loaded. It turns out that it holds a 4x5 field camera, 3 lenses (including a 10 inch in a #4 shutter,) a half-dozen film holders, meter and more miscellaneous items than I can remember I have with me, yet still be reasonable schlepable...

Let's see, let's compare a 35mm system that might give close to 4x5 quality in a 16x20 print.

1dsMk3 + 16-35/2.8 + 24-105/4 + 70-200/4 + KirkL bracket = 3570g = 7.9 lbs

4x5+75/4.5+135/5.6+240/9+QLholder+20QLs+hood+meter+watch = 9.73 lbs

I estimated 3.5 lbs for a Chamonix 4x5, 2 lbs for 20 QLs, 1 lb for meter, and 1/4 lb each for hood and watch. The rest of the weights are available on LF site.

Tripod weight will be the same (don't tell me you'll put 4.5 lbs of camera&lens on a 1.5lb tripod) at 3-3.5 lbs (including head). Filter's will be heavier for the digital system as you'll need 82mm filters or larger. The 4x5 system will use minimum of 67mm filters.

My conclusion is the weights for either system are pretty similar give or take a lb. Sometimes I carry a 400T which adds an extra 1.5 lbs to the 4x5 kit, but if I'm backpacking, the above list is exactly what I take. Not to mention, my 4x5 kit is a lot cheaper :-)

If I want to go light, I'll carry my Olympus E-520 + 12-60mm lens ==> 2.5 lbs

If I want to go lighter, I'll carry a Canon G9 ==> .8 lbs

My favorite view camera for field use has been, for over 30 years, has been the Galvin 23 with 14" bellows. That camera in a small gadget bag carries camera, 2 lenses, 2 roll holders and weighs in about 3 lbs. My 35mm and 2/1/4 camera tripods work just fine.

I do have 8x10, 4x5's, and my Galvins.

Lynn