Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar lenses on FD bodies

mark_pierlot

I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience using Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar lenses on FD bodies. I just picked

up a nearly immaculate copy of the CZJS 135/4 - the legendary "Silver Dragon" - and would like to use it to best

advantage on my F-1's, F-1N's and T90's. I realize that I'll have to use stopped-down metering, and plan on using the

lens in outdoor daylight (where its relatively slow speed won't be an issue).

Well, if you've got the adapter, go for it. I have the Sonnar 180 in a P6 mount and find it to be one of the sharpest, crispest lenses I own of any kind or era. I also have Soviet copies of Sonnars that I have also found to be excellent.

These are some of the best lenses around, even without newer coatings, etc.

The Sonnar 180 is my favorite lens. It part of my everytime camera bag, used both on the P6, one of my FD (the favorite are the EFor tha FTb-new) or on the EOS 40D. For sure it's a big piece of glass but sharp, crisp, a pleasure to use.

Except weight and size, the only trouble is that everybody is looking to you while shooting with such huge lens, specialy fitted with eom hood that double the length.

Look for addapter and enjoy your new lens!

If it is all working (the auto aperture is a weak point, but easily repaired), that's probably not too bad, although I haven't looked at completed transactions lately. By buying one with a broken preview lever, I go one much cheaper from the FSU, but it later had to have the suto diaphragm repaired.

The catch here is that a lot of people have figured out how good this one usually is.

Thanks for the info, JDM. The seller of the lens in question says that there is a small amount of backlash in the

aperture, but that this is normal for this type of lens and that the aperture stops as it should. Is this true? If it isn't

and there is a problem with the aperture, I'll be stuck with the lens without much recourse.

Also, the lens has a P6 mount. I know that there's a P6/EOS adapter, but is there a P6/FD adapter?

The repair on my Sonnar 180mm diaphragm was done by a very competent local part-time repairman, but I am sure he'd never seen one before, so I'm guessing that it is not extraordinarily difficult. He charged me about $40 US.

<p>

I <i>think</i> that some one here on P.net has mentioned an FD adapter, and one is certainly <i>possible</i>. I haven't looked, however. I do know that there are P6>M42 adapters, and of course there are M42>EOS adapters.