ST-E2 Outdoors

Brad_

I've read reports about the ST-E2 when used outdoors in bright light may not reliably trigger Speedlights.

Is this mostly for longer distances; where there may not be any surfaces for the IR triggering signal to bounce off of, in non-ideal line of

site situations?

If I hold my cam in my right hand and 430EX in my left with arm extended, do I have to worry about that outdoors?

www.citysnaps.net

When I owned it, it work fine the way you describe. You might have to swivel the IR sensor on the flash towards the ST-E2. In fact, I have been able to trigger the the flash (430EX with ST-E2) from about 10ft away, outdoors. But the sensor (on the flash) was swiveled towards the ST-E2.

You need line of sight outdoors and, like Amol writes, you can twist the Speedlite body to face the ST-E2. So if you keep

line of sight it works fine. Now I've only used the ST-E2 outdoors at night or twilight, so I don't know about triggering in the

blazing sun...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Think of the signal that the ST-E2 transmits as being a 'beam' that goes pretty much straight line. So if you cannot see the receive sensor on the flash, the flash may not see the beam. Fortunately the beam can be deflected. I once did an outdoor shoot where I had someone stand behind the flash with a towel to deflect the beam to the flash - it worked perfectly.

So as far as hand holding outdoors, yes it should work but it really mainly depends on the position of the ST-E2 to your flash [as well as the environment around you]. Experiment a bit and you will figure it out.

>>> When I owned it, it work fine the way you describe.

Thanks Amol....

>>> I had that issue when shooting out doors. Sometimes the flash will not fire on bright days.

Scott, just so I'm clear, was that using it like I described; flash in left hand, arm extended; and camera in right hand against

your face?

I understand the IR sensors (on the ST-E2 and 430) need to see each other. What I'm wondering about, is using a flash and

ST-E2 in a very specific way; about 3 feet of separation outside in very bright light.

www.citysnaps.net

Hello Brad, I was considering buying the ste-2 but was concerned about the same issue. The ultimate alternative to this is buying pocket wizards, which (in my case) couldn't be justified. However, I bought the alienbees cyber syncs which have worked well for me. The downside to this approach is that ETTL won't work, so a light meter will be necessary. I bought a used sekonic 358 for $200 but you can get lesser models for much cheaper. So if you spend $100 on a light meter (which will be much more reliable than the camera metering by the way) and a cyber sync transmitter ($70) and receivier ($60), you're still in the price range of the the ste-2. Perhaps cost isn't an isssue for you, but it's always an issue for me.

Brad,

I never had any problems using the ST-E2 outdoors in bright light for macro-work. 3 feet should not be a problem if the flash can "see" the ST-E2. <br>

The main problem outdoor in bright light is distance - go for 10 feet and bright light and you will experience problems.<br>

<a href="http://www.hofmann-photography.de/html/favorites_14.html">two flash controlled with ST-E2 in bright sunlight distance 10 feet</a> <br>

Good luck Gerhard

Brad,

I used the EX550EX strobes with the ST-E2, outdoors, without problems in conditions as you have proposed. the only issue is Canon mounted the IR sensor on the front-face of the flash, so you have to rotate the flash-head to illuminate your subject and also align the sensor with the ST-E2. indoors this is never a problem due to reflections but outdoors it could be problematic. not from the sun .. purely alignment.

I'll look up your flash and see if you can configure the same way. in fact, I was going to experiment with the ST-E2 and my 40D today, but decided to go sailing. I was able, a few hours ago, coming home .. to experiment with evaluative-metering and FEL to get the effects I wanted. using the 550EX or your 430EX and the ST-E2 is a good approach. it also really helps in low-light AF focusing as it has an IR pattern generator for focus-assist as I recall.

captain dan