Mamiya RB67 6x4.5 film back repair service needed

jason_hall5

I need some good suggestions for repair service on a RB67 Pro 6x4.5 film back. I have two backs that need repair.

I would be happy if I could get one good back out of the two. I bought them as part of a kit with the understanding

that one worked and the other was for parts. Turns out, both are faulty.

The one that was suppose to be OK, seemed to work fine when loading the film. It advanced the film until it got to

the number "1" on the counter. It stopped like expected, I exposed the frame. The double exposure indicator went

red as it should. When ever you try to release the winding lever, the counter reset back to "S". I assume that

stands for "Start" to go along with the Start arrows on the paper backing. So I gess I could wing my way through a

roll of film, but what a lousy way to have to do it.

Is this a common failure? I am really bummed because while I have two 6x7 backs as well, I spent several hours

resealing this one and screwed up the first roll of film fighting this thing. It was the first roll I have ever tried to shoot

in a RB67 so I could not figure out if the problem was me or the camera at first.

I guess I will have to reseal one of the 6x7 back before I can test a full roll. I also have a polaroid back and shot two

packs of film with a range of shutter and aperture combinations, all with good results.

Thanks for any input.

Jason

If the "release the winding lever", you are refering to that little lever with the arrow at the back of the filmholder. You don't have to release that lever to advance the film. That lever is when the filmholder is used on another camera. Such as a Graphic or Mamiya Universal.

Yes, I am talking about the little lever with the arrow. Its called the "Wind Stop Release Lever".

According to the manual downloaded from Mike Butkus, it is required on the RB67 Pro. May not be on the Pro S or SD.

Any way, if that is the wrong thing to do, then why won't the film advance after exposure. Also, its not suppose the reset the counter....right?

Jason

According to the Mamiya manual, it sounds like you are doing it right. Have you tried releasing the wind stop lever shortly after you start to crank the film advance lever? It really sounds like something is amiss inside the mechanism. I have a ProS and repair manual, and will look to see if it has any troubleshooting for this area.

Thanks Craig,

I think I have tried every combination possible but I am sure there maybe something else. If I move the small lever a little it will reset the double exposure warning back to white but the wind lever still will not release. If I push it far enough, as I said, the counter resets and its as if you are starting a new roll. This is with out touching the wind lever. I have tried puting pressure on the wind lever as I move the stop release, tapped on it, held it at every angle, jiggled it, and so on.

I loaded one of the 6x7 backs with a strip of backing paper from a roll I had developed last week or so. That back advanced the film as I would expect with no issues. So I clearly see how it should work. The only thing that is keeping me from removing the cover and taking a look, is I don't want to damage the metal decal that covers the screw for the winding lever. I know is a petty thing, but I figure that if I send it in for repair they would have to replace it when the repair was done. Thats what I figured any way.

Jason

I have already tried, it is clear I will scratch the heck out it and maybe bend it, as I have already scratched it some with no progress in removeing it. It is a metal disk with the "6x4.5" printed on it. I know its petty, but the back just looks really nice unlike the two 6x7 backs that I have. They are rather banged up....and yet seems to work just fine. Go figure.

I just really wanted to know if anyone would suggest a repair service. I have found a few with Google, but wanted to hear from folks that have tried some of them. As many of these camera systems that are out there, surely there a number of folks that have had them repaired.

Thanks

Jason

I'm not sure where you are located, but here in LA there is a factory trained Mamiya tech that takes care of all things Mamiya. He also gets repairs in from across the country as well. I posted the contact info on the neighbor to neighbor page.

• 4 months later...