EOS film cameras

alan_rockwood

<p>I sure do wish we had a separate forum for Canon EOS film cameras.</p>

<p>The problem with the present structure (EOS film and digital in the same forum) is that the film posts just get lost in the shuffle of digital posts, and since photo.net is not well-structured for perusing old posts, most of the good EOS film-related stuff becomes virtually lost and therefore unusable.</p>

<p>Based on private exchanges of emails I realize that Josh does not think this is a good idea, but I wonder what forum users think.</p>

<p>I'd love to see a separate EOS film forum, but I just don't see enough discussion about them to warrant one.</p>

<p>Bruce--To answer your question, <strong>YES!</strong> They were and are that good. I think the EOS 1v is the best camera Canon ever made, film or digital! One of the best by any brand, for that matter.</p>

<p>I see no point in a separate forum. All issues with lenses are common for one thing and general flash issues are very similar, so there's really little point in duplication.</p>

<p>Added to that is the fact that EOS film bodies aren't being used much anymore, as evidenced by the fact that their selling price on the used market is very low, plus we really don't see many film body questions here.</p>

<p>We actually have separate categories for EOS bodies and EOS digital SLR bodies, but most people don't bother to categorize correctly, so we have a random assortment of film, lens and digital threads scattered between them. "EOS bodies" was the original (pre-digital) category. I suppose it could be renamed "EOS Film Bodies" but at this point I'm not sure it would really help. Nobody has time to go through 10,000 or more posts and correctly recategorized them.</p>

<p>I have the Canon 1V and agree with Andy Collins, you have to try it and not just take our word for it. They can be picked up for less than $500, I bought mind about two years ago, had 13 films run through it, looked liked new. <br>

"we don't see many film body questions here"<br>

Could be that if they don't see a forum for it so the question is not asked? Just wondering</p>

<p>I think a seperate forum would be the wrong thing.<br>

EOS is one system with shared lenses and flashguns etc wheras the Olympus systems are pretty different (as somebody used that example)<br>

Obviously the use of film cameras is in decline and as such questions pertaining to them are declining too, but todays EOS digital users were probably for the most part yesterdays film EOS body users, maybe some like me still use both.<br>

How many of us would dip into an EOS film body forum? I've noticed that film body questions usually get a good response in this thread, so really it would only be the film body users who would lose out.<br>

For what its worth, the EOS 1V is probably the best 35mm camera in the world if cost is not an issue. I think, and will get shot down here, that the EOS 3 is actually slightly better camera when cost is taken into account. New the price difference would have got you a couple of very decent primes or an L f4 zoom, used the difference is still a 580 EX speedlite or 50mm f1.4.<br>

Whats going to do more for your photography? An EOS 3 body with a nice extra lens or gun, or a 1v with its viewfinder blind? I know some folk always want the best camera at the school sports day, for everybody else the EOS 3 is the smartest film body buy going.<br>

Maybe I'm just biased because ECF works for me. In functional and practical terms its never crossed my mind that I'm missing something by not having a 1V (and yes I have used them having sold a few of them over the years)</p>

<p>I wouldn't think there would be enough "business" for a EOS film-only forum. However, I wish there were someplace other than the current Nikon, Canon, and other digital forums (because that's what they are, mostly) to discuss classic Auto-focus/Electronic cameras like the film EOS, the Nikon AF film bodies, Minolta, Pentax, etc.</p>

<p>(The moderators, as I know from numerous e-mails and prior discussion, don't like this idea either; but these wonderful cameras don't fit into the modern forums on their marques, and they are way inappropriate for the Classic Manual forum.)</p><div>00VfRb-216731584.jpg.e6d48806fe42293b93fd16dea56d57be.jpg</div>

<p>I still do not find anything as good as the DEP mode on my film EOS ... it was three presses:<br>

-choose and focus on point one,<br>

-choose and focus on point two<br>

-recompose and release the shutter</p>

<p>it was reliable and fast. So I feel that the EOS film cameras were among the best 35mm cameras ever made ... and of course the 1n and v are superb.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I say keep them together. There may be more people using the older FD system for film, than eos film bodies. I still use the fd system, as well as eos film and digital. I picked up a 3 and ivhs a couple years ago, both are something special in my book.</p>

<p>If I'm not mistaken the Canon Rebel 2000 (under its various names) is the most popular 35mm SLR ever, and there are many other EOS film cameras that have either been extremely popular or are highly regarded. Given this, I of doubt that there is more interest in the older FD system than the EOS system. Consequently, I would be rather surprised if the FD forum were to be more popular than a new EOS film forum.</p>

<p>I really don't see where keeping the EOS film and EOS digital forums together provides much benefit to EOS film camera users, or to EOS digital users for that matter. It just makes it harder for EOS film users to find posts relevant to their interests, and (to the extent that film users still post on a forum so poorly suited to their interests) it just dilutes the EOS forum from a digital user's point of view.</p>

<p>As to Bob's comment that nobody has time to go through 10,000 old posts and recategorize them, this is not at all what I am suggesting.</p>

<p>If a separate EOS film forum can't be started then JDM's suggestion of a combined forum for classic Auto-focus/Electronic cameras of various makes seems like a good alternative to me.</p>

<p>The Rebel 2000 may have been the msot popular 35mm SLR, but how many are still in regular use?</p>

<p>I think that a higher proportion of mid range and high end bodies still get a regular run out, certainly in the enthusiast or pro sphere, which this forum is in.<br>

I say again, one system one thread, todays digital EOS users for the most part probably had film EOS's not so long ago, and as such any questions are likely to get a more useful reponse on here rather than a very niche thread elsewhere.<br>

Its the EOS thread, not the EOS digital thread. I see no reason to change that.<br>

Its a minor inconvenience for the digital users (if you even want to go that far) and far likely to get noticed by a bigger number of readers many of whom will have the experience and knowledge to helpfully answer.<br>

Who loses from the status quo?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Its a minor inconvenience for the digital users</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But it's a pain in the rear for us film users to have to wade through all those digital posts to find the few film threads, and as such I have all but given up on the EOS forum here. It is entirely possible that the volume of postings on a new EOS <em>FILM </em>forum will justify its creation. I vote yes, for what it's worth.</p>

<p>JDM, on the 'film-only' forum elsewhere, 35mm SLR equipment is lumped together in its own sub-forum, and we all seem to get along just fine; no whining from the Pentax users about all the Olympus posts, etc. We have here a Classic Manual forum; perhaps it's time for a Classic Automatic forum?</p>

<p>Hi Fred I take your point, and my reading of it is that you are somebody who is more likely to offer help than to ask for it, my point is that those wanting help will have access to a larger volume of readers who most probably have knowledge of film & digital EOS bodies. Do we then create a third group specifically for non-body EOS system questions? I know a lens subsection already exists, but if I had a question to ask (and I sometimes do) I would prefer it to be on the forum with the most users... </p>