Managing and viewing RAW files

Hi

I have been shooting Nikon RAW for a few years and rely exclusively on PS for my image viewing and editing. This

seems to cover all my image editing needs but it can be quite time consuming to open each image individually in PS

RAW converter to determine whether it is worth keeping. I found a couple of free photo viewing programs that display

RAW but the quality of the display is really not good enough to make a final decision on keeping/deleting. I would be

grateful for any suggestions on software that would allow me to speed up this first edit stage.

Thanks

Lex

I use Adobe Lightroom, which also meets the vast majority of my post-processing editing needs. Other options would be Capture NX2 since you're shooting Nikon, and Aperture if you use a Mac. All three programs are worthy, so personal preference would drive the choice between them, and all have 30 day trials that can be easily downloaded.

There may be some other options, but these three are in my view the most robust, user friendly, and feature rich.

Try Irfanview, a free download and super viewing program if viewing files quickly is your need. It will open almost

all 'raw' riles including NEFs (up to the D300s that I have) and probably is up to date on the newer cameras as well.

You just right click on Internet Explorer images and 'open with' then choose IrfanView as your program (it doesn't

have to be a default.)

Once you've opened a particular photo, just click (or touch the mouse pad) and it opens the next in sequence. One

idiosyncracy: It opens the photos at 'full size' which dwarfs the screen. Simply hit the 'return' key (enter key) to

bring it to 'fit the screen' and then keep clicking to view the entire download.

I know a photo shop owner who never opened Photoshop except to restore old photos -- he was so adept not only at

opening photos with IrfanView but he also used its image editing features adeptly.

Enter 'Irfanview (or Irvan View) free download' into Google.com and then watch the links. It's free of charge and a

perpetual license -- one of the best deals on the Internet. No one will be after additional money from you either.

It's quick and dirty but images are high quality -- you can see them at full resolution, or in fit-to-screen resolution as

you wish.

Try it, (like the kid said in the old cereal commercial) you'll like it!

John (Crosley)

We did an in house test here at the office and found that Nikon ViewNX, CaptureNX, and NX 2 all produced identical RAW conversion. The nice thing is, ViewNX is a great viewer and is free. I use PS and other software for the rest of post. Bibble, DxO, and PS raw converters were OK, but a bit lackluster. To clarify, all we did was convert--no other toggles or adjustments.

But don't my word for it, try it yourself.

Good luck.