Canvas & Eco Print Shield

I have a Canon IPF 6100 printer and have begun printing gallery wraps on Epson Premium Canvas and trying to

protect them with Eco Print Shield. I have followed all the recommendations of Eco Print Shield (and allowed the

prints to dry and cure longer than recommended) however, I have an issue with the ink lifting from the print. I realize

the ink is a water based dye ink and Eco Print Shield is aqueous based as well. I discussed this problem with the

manufacturer of Eco Print Shield and after several Emails they told me there was a known problem with Canon inks.

I'm not sure I believe them as this was the answer only after the fourth Email and was a terse message. It feels like

they just wanted me to go away. In my discussion with Canon, they stated that they do not verifiy third party

manufacturer's products and do not manufacture or sell a print shielding/sealing product.

Is anyone printing on canvas with Canon printers and sealing the print with a different product or have any

suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Use a solvent-based protective coating on dye inks. Clearstar makes a very good solvent-based protective coating. I have used their Clearshield water-based coating on Epson K3 inks on both paper and canvas with no effect on the ink.

You would want to look at the ClearJet coating. The "Series FA" (fine art) is specifically formulated to penetrate canvas to maintain the canvas flexibility: http://www.clearstarcorp.com/

Reposting from your other thread:

For clarity's sake, are we talking about the pigment-based iPF6100, or the dye-based iPF610?

I've used and know several people still using Eco Print Shield on LUCIA pigment prints (as used in the 6100, and

5x00/8x00/9x00 series) without issues. Including on the Epson canvas.

If it's the 610, you may have better results with Breathing Color's Glamour II, which is a little gentler with dyes than is the

Premier Art product. You could also try the ClearJet product Steve mentioned above.

Colin--

Do you use a foam roller or spray for application?

I have tested Eco Print, Clearshield, and Glamour II. I use a SATA Minijet 4, HVLP spray gun to apply the coatings.

If you spray the Glamour II, do you find you need to thin it in order to get it to spray evenly? I have a 1.5mm tip on the Minijet, which is supposed to be for thick automotive paints (up to primer/fillers) - and have had to thin the Glamour II to spray it evenly. Without thinning, the material would collect on the tip and then come off in a blob onto the print. Have you had that problem? Can you elaborate a bit further on how you use the Glamour II?