Which 90 mm should I choose ?

eivind_stensnes

I own a 4x5 Chamonix with a 210 mm APO Sironar S. This is a high class lens.

What I need is a 90 mm.

I need a really good one, but I can't afford buying for another 2000 USD.

As I will maximum spend a thousand bucks on the next lens, hopefully half of that amount,

I wonder if anyone have (good) suggestions for me.

Which 90 mm lenses are the best for me on the 4x5 Chamonix.

Best value for money? Anyone?

Thank you very much for all help!

best regards,

Eivind S. - Norway

The <I>real</I> best value is the f/8 Super Angulon. Unless you plan to actually shoot at larger stops than

that, you won't gain a whole lot with faster lenses IMO, and the perceived inability to focus slow lenses isn't

nearly the problem some would have you believe. So many photographers have succumbed to the lure of the newer,

faster 90's that the f/8 SA's are selling for a fraction of their worth.

Having used a 4x5 Chamonix for a few weeks before going back to an Ebony SW45 again, I have to say that the

Chamonix ground glass (even with a fresnel) is quite dark, at least compared to the Ebony. I use a Super Angulon

5.6/90mm and it was nothing too bright on the Chamonix gg. So I imagine that a 8/90mm might be quite difficult to

focus in anything than very bright conditions. I'd go for a larger aperture, at least f6.8 or better f4.5.

Greetings to you Eivind from a fellow Norwegian

I have a Rodenstock 90mm Grandagon-N 4.5mm which happens to be the lens I use the most. I have nothing but superlatives to say about it (with the possible exeption that it is a tad on the heavy side). I got it second-hand for about $600. Should you get hold of one, It would be a nice match to your Apo-Sironar S 210mm :) Of course, I can't imagine that you can go wrong with either of the other major brands either, should you opt for one other than Rodenstock. But I have no personal experience with any other 90mm lens.

I am using mine on a Arca-Swiss Discovery/F-Line hybrid - which is an awesome camera. It is, however, not the lightest setup around, so - for purposes of travelling - I've considered looking into a Chamonix 4x5, which you presently use. How is it working for you. Happy with it?

Eirik

If money is an issue, check the Caltar/ilex wide 90mm. It has about the same specs. as the Super-Angulon 90mm, but usually goes 1/3 to 1/2 less on eBay One disadvantage: it is NOT threaded for filters ... but I posted an article about fixing this here a few months ago: http://www.photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00PIfV . (I have an Ilex and a S-A and both work fine for wide-angle photos.