EOS DSLR Flash Capability

james_ollinger

I have a Canon 40D. I'm confused about which Canon flash units are compatible with it. I don't want to put

something on it which may fry the camera.

The various FAQ files I've seem don't seem very clear on the issue. I'm not sure whether previous Canon flashes are

physically compatible, just not fully featured, with the DSLRs, or if they're not compatible At All.

Here's an example. I've got a Canon 300TL. I know it'll work with my EOS film bodies, but will it work safely with a

DSLR? If not, which other flash series will?

TIA,

-James

You need an EX series speedlite. Currently that means a 200EX, 430EX II or 580EX II, but there are older Speedlites like the 550EX, 380EX, 430EX and 580EX.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/ex_speedlites.html for more info on specfic models

EZ series speedlites won't damage anything, but you won't get any sort of automatic flash operation, you'll have to use guide numbers and set aperture based on subject distance. Anything that works OK on a Canon film body should work on a DSLR (but unless it's an EX speedlite you won't get any sort of automatic operation).

Thank you, that's really what I was asking--whether older series flashes would work in *some* capacity or other, even if it's only limited. I'm saving my pennies for a 580EX II, but in the meantime, I wanted to be able to use what I already, but didn't want to risk blowing up the camera in the process.