P6000 RAW File format with CaptureNX

joe_mezzanini1

There's probably nothing wrong with the raw format itself - everyone else supported it without any fuss and (if the dcraw source is anything to go by) with only tiny additions to their code. It's Nikon's odd decision not to support it in their flagship raw processor that's the problem. Canon did something very similar with the G9, by the way.

Peter:

Have you used or worked with a P6000 at all? Unlikely or you wouldn't havve made the statement you just made.

As Richard points out, there is really nothing wrong with the format. Everything else works with it and it really isn't a problem unless you aren't aware of it. When you find out, you just use 'everything else' which works just fine.

If you have the settings set appropriately, take good photographs, you will get good photographs. Only those who grabbed one in a camera store, used whatever the settings were and shot off a few quick frames are naysayers. Those of us who have one, have it set up properly, take the same care with our shots we do with our D300/D700, get back results that satisfy our requirements for quality (which are quite high).

Conni

Conni writes "If you have the settings set appropriately, take good photographs, you will get good photographs." True of

any camera.

I've only handled it in a store. Don't like the handling. If I want a P&S, I like the handling of the Canons better, image is

probably about the same. Reviews I've seen are less than stellar, Thom Hogan's recent shootout also pointed out the

very high CA with it, among some other problems. A different RAW format which may or may not be supported in a

program in five years is just one more reason to avoid it.

But if I want a compact camera at that price that doesn't fit in a pocket, I'd rather have a D40 with an 18-55 lens for

practically the same price. But that is just me.

Specifications = 12.9 oz.; l = 4.2; h = 2.8; w = 1.7. (P6000).

The D40 is at the office but I can guarantee that even with a 50 mm lens on it, it's lots bigger than the P6000.

The S52 is a 'credit card' Coolpix that does a good job. I have several of these models but this one seems to be the best. The problem is keeping your finger from covering either the flash or the viewfinder. But it is small and lightweight.

If you like the feel of Nikon cameras, you will likely get along fine with the P6000 (or the P5100). Familiarity sometimes breeds contempt but most of the time if you learn the system, it just makes you very competent with the system.

Conni