4 stop vs 3 stop IS? On the 17-55 f/2.8?

bradleywalter

Hi Everyone

I continue to see reference too both 3 and 4 stop IS. Which lenses have 4 stop, which have 3, and should I wait

for those with only 3 to jump to 4?

i just bought the 17-55 f/2.8 and love it, but I read that it only has the 3-stop IS version. I thought I would

throw this out on the board in hopes someone with knowledge on the subject could shed light for the rest of us.

Thanks!

BW

It's all very relative. The latest IS is better than the original IS, though whether any of them are really 4 stops it's hard to say.

Just get the lens you want. It could be years, decades or never before the IS on any particular lens is upgraded. In fact I'm not sure that it's ever happened. The 28-135 still has the original "2 stop" IS as far as I know and it's been around for about a decade.

The expensive, premium, EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS is nominally "3 stop". The super cheap, all plastic "dirt cheap IS" EF-S 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS are both nominally "4 stop". Go figure. I think the new EF-S 18-200 IS is "4stop" too.

Whether "4 stop" lenses are actually better stabilized than "3 stop" lenses is rather difficult to measure.

IS is a probabalistic thing. My experience with a few different ones is 2 stops is pretty much gauranteed, the 3rd stop is sometimes doable with the 2 stop IS and is about 80 per cent doable with the 3 stop IS.

4 stops is rarely doable with the 2 stop IS, sometimes doable with the 3 stop IS and about 50 per cent doable with the 4 stop IS.

Focal length also seems to matter too, with it more effective at the longer end where higher shutter speed are needed. For example 1/16 sec may be doable with a focal lenght of 200 mm, but 1/2 second is rarely achievable at 28 mm.

Canon doesn't seem to update old lenses with new IS systems much. This is one of the many disadvanategs of lens based IS comapred to putting IS in the bodies. With the latter you get the latest IS system everytime you upgrade the camera body.

Ah - the limitations of not talking face to face:

When this thread opened up in the window on my laptop (notebook), your second image was cut at the bottom of the window and it appeared to me to be as below . . .

My first response was: ``WOW! That is a Flying Horse``.

Hence my comment - that you could, (if you wished to), PS out the feet of the people, and Title the image ``Pegasus Landing``

Sorry for any confusion - and I like both shots.

Regards

WW<div>00RTXf-88065584.jpg.d780cf3492223e3f05439f64f8ec6731.jpg</div>