Corrupted partiton data recovery

Hi, everybody,

I am in a trouble due to a corruption in one of my CF cards. I have taken over 300 photos in a recent trip, which

have been stored in two CF cars. One is a 1Gb which had no problems at all. The second card is a 4Gb card in

which I took roughly another Gb of photos. Both cards were formatted before using and have worked well in the

past. This morning, after arriving home, I have read both cards with a card reader and all the photos appeared to

be ok in both cards, I was able to open all the files. However, I didn't copy them immediately to my laptop due

to lack of time, so I left both cards in my desk.

In the afternoon, I took them again to copy all the files to my hd but after succesfuly copying the files from

the 1Gb drive, I took the 4Gb card and it wasn't recognized by the laptop. I put it in the camera and it showed

[For] in the screen (Nikon D70s). I have tried to use some of the file recovery programs that I used in the past

with success (Testdisk Photorescue, Digital Photo Recover and some others) but they weren't able to even "see"

the card. It didn't mount at all, and I think the card reader worked well, as the 1Gb card could be read

perfectly. So I formatted the card in the camera (it was impossible to do so in the computer as the card wasn't

recognized at all), and after that it worked well within the camera, but the number of shoots available has

decreased noticeably...

However, the card still is completely unreadable with the card reader, so I have plugged my camera to the PC with

the card inside and it seems that it is working now. Nevertheless, when I open the "Properties" tab for the card,

it is labeled to be a 3Gb media, starting to smell strange... Now, I am able to run PhotoRec and other tools in

this card, but they just recover some older photos, and those programs also recognize the drive as being 3Gb.

I don't understand very much about these things, but it seems as if a cluster of about 1Gb has broken down inside

the CF card and can't be reached by any software. I have tried to format the card from Windows but it always

formats it as a 3Gb drive, so I suppose the recovery programs can't reach the missing Gb. I tried to chkdsk the

card but it showed no errors.

If anybody has experienced something similar or has any idea of what's going on, I would be very grateful to hear

from you. I don't really care about the card itself, If I happen to recover the photos it will be trashed

immediately! It wasn't a complete dissaster either, as they are roughly halve of the photos I took in two days,

but it hurts when this happens...

Thanks in advance for your answers,

kind regards,

Ioritz.