Suggest the best viewfinder for only two lenses: 24mm and 50mm

rayn

After some research and examining the lenses I use most, I have decided

to get the 24/2.8 and 50/1.4 for a Leica M7 (which I havn't bought yet

but soon will). What viewfinder magnification is most optimized for

this combo? I was considering the 0.85 + the 24mm hotshoe viewfinder.

Anything wrong with this? I figured the 0.85 was best for the 50mm,

and I'll be using the hotshoe viewfinder for the 24mm. On the other

hand, I could get the 0.58 and not use a hotshoe viewfinder, but then

would it be hard to use the 50mm with 0.58?

Without any hesitation I would go for the .58 when it comes out - I'm waiting for one too!

The .58 is absolutely fine with the 50mm in my experience, and as you evidently realise, the extremes of the finder approximate to the 24mm field; probably not as accurate as a 24mm finder, but OK for most purposes.

If you weren't totally convinced by the .58 with your 50, you could always get the 1.25x magnifier - if you can find one; if you are going to have an accessory somewhere, that one is a lot less obtrusive than the hotshoe finder.

If you are leaning towards the .85 + 24 finder for the 50, then I would stay away from the .58 body. In truth, it is best to use the optional VF with the 24 anyway; while the the RF window on the .58 is close to the view of the 24, it does not give the same look as the finder -- which much more closely resembles the persective of the 24 lens -- nor does the window itself adjust for perspective like the framelines do. I would get yourself a .72 body, add in the 24 VF and get the 1.25x magny later if you think you need more finder mag for use with the 50. The magny effectively turns your .72 into a .85. Now you have a dual-use body that has all of the framelines available, should your desires draw you to try other focals.

Cheers,

a very important point is whether you wear glasses or not. forget the .85 if you wear them, unless the only important thing in your viewfinder is the focussing patch. with glasses the only really comfortable magnification is the .58, though you might get along with the .72. whatever you do, go to a proper shop to try them out side by side, with the 50mm lens attached.