Portrait lenses, 85f1.8 -vs- 85/1.2L

canonfduser

Other than the obvious difference in speed how does the 85f1.8 compare to the L lens at similar apertures. Are they

comparable from lets say f2.8 - f11? I'm currently using a 100f2.8 FD or 135f2.5 FD and would like something faster

but also sharp wide open or stopped down just a little. Also, are the older 85f1.8 FD breech lock and the new FD

lenses about the same or is one better than the other. I'd prefer the newer version but have no problem using breech

lock lenses.

The two 85s you mention are completely different. The 1.2L (or Aspherical in BL) is well corrected even wide open. It is an unflattering lens for shooting heads and you will get no romance out of it. The 85/1.8 has residual spherical left uncorrected at wide aperture and gives a classic portrait lens look. You will also see some of this in your 135/2.5. Both regain their corrections by about mid-aperture.

For the price, I'd recommend sticking with the 135/2.5 and spending your $$$ on an 85 L; then you will have lenses of entirely different character. I cannot tell you if the 85/1.8 BL is a different formula from the FDn version...

I concur with Eric that you should get the 85/1.2 L. It's perhaps the best FD prime ever made (some would take

issue with this and say the 55/1.2 SSC Aspherical takes top honors), and it's the prime I use by far the most.

As for its portrait capabilities, I find it to be excellent. Perhaps its sharpness isn't flattering to some subjects, but for

photographing children it's the ultimate low light lens. And its bokeh is gorgeous.

I really can't recommend the 85/1.2 L highly enough.

The 85mm f1.8 in either mount is the same formula. And the guys are telling you correctly about the smooth glowy look at apertures from f1.8 to about f2.8 by f4.0 the lens starts to become nice and sharp and in it's sweet spot f5.6 to f8.0 it is nice and sharp.

you can find a test done by Gary Reese on some FD lenses here.

http://www.fischo.de/canon_fd/default.htm

I suspect that his Breech lock version of the 85mm f1.8 was not the best sample. At least compared to what I saw with the one I had.

I have the 85/1.8 New FD and all versions of the 100/2.8. Some day I might be interested in getting an 85/1.2 but I don't think I would use it wide open for a portarit any more than I would use my 85/1.8 wide open for a portrait. A person is three dimensional and even f/1.8 provides far too little depth of field for my liking. I have used the 85 and my 100s at f/2.8 to experiment but I prefer to close down to at least f/4. I just don't like portraits where only the tips of the eyeballs are in focus. If I am going to use the 85/1.8 wide open it will be for a distant subject and I would use it to get a high enough shutter speed to make the shot. Some people like the 100/2 even better than the 85/1.2 for portraits.

Mark, thanks for the link. It looks like I'd fare better with the nFD 85f1.8. I've checked KEH, my usual source for gear and they have a bgn 85L for $499 and a nFD 85f1.8 for $159. My PayPal account currently has enought to cover the 1.8 lens but I think I'm going to hold off and see if KEH slashes the prices on the 85L. If I could pick it up for a little less I might take the plunge and find out what L lenses are all about.

Jeff Adler wrote: "Some people like the 100/2 even better than the 85/1.2 for portraits."

Thats how I feel about it. It's a very personal decision but I prefer the 100mm over the 85mm for portraits, especially frame filling head shots. It gives a bit more working room and a bit more spaitial compression. Wide open it's VERY sharp and you can get the tip of the nose to the eyes in focus. My 85mm f/1.8 rarely sees much portrait action.<div>00RQxX-86787584.jpg.e5f80bb0c1e412ac014ee8df5c2c711b.jpg</div>

Well since we are going there. My go to wedding lens is my 100mm f2.0 nFD since in the wedding world it is rare to be able to get very close to the bride and groom while shooting the ceremony the reach on the 100 has worked out very well for me. And the details it can provide are amazing white lace on a white dress where you can see every thread is what the brides want. For straight head shots the 135mm f2.5 S.C. or Chrome nose is very hard to beat IMHO.

Hey Frank,

I've been eyeing the 85 1.2L's on KEH for a couple months now, and i think over that period they cut the price, raised it, cut it, and have

now raised it again... but in each case, it hasn't been by more than $30 I believe (when i was going to buy it, the EX condition one was

$499USD... now it's $525 i think).... so if you are going to buy one, I don't think waiting will really make that much difference.

Now I'm jealous. I have never seen a 135/2.5 chrome front. I have two 135/3.5 chrome front lenses and I would like to round things out with a 200/4 chrome front if I ever see one. For some reason flare is more of a problem with my 200/4 FD (not SSC) than with my two 100/2.8 chrone front FDs. For this reason I don't think a 200/4 chrome front would be any better but it would still be nice to have. The closest I would get to a 100/2 now would be either my 85/1.8 New FD or a 135/2.3 Vivitar Series 1 in M42 mount with an adapter. The Series 1 lens goes to 3 feet so it's still OK for framing a portrait if you like that focal length.

Sounds like a good choice if budget is an issue. As Eric and Mark said the 85mm F1.2 is a remarkable lens but it is expensive. In addition to the lens you also probably need the lens hood which will cost around $50 so for a good example you are getting to $600 - 700 for a 20 - 25 year old lens. That said it is probably my favourite Canon lens (and I own lots of expensive FD and EF glass). The other 135mm F2 is another great Canon lens (I have not compared this to the F2.5 as i do not have it).