What happens if the developing date of a film has already passed?

nogub

Hi, I bought a Fujifilm film ... the other day, I was looking at its box and noticed that the developing date line was on

october the 2nd, something happens if the film is developed after this day? I guess the developing date would be

about 2 months and a half later than october 2nd.

Thankyou. Noel.

Most film ages very gracefully if stored reasonably well. As long as it's not subjected to extreme heat (inside a car in summer) or other extremes in temperature shift or humidity, most film will remain useful for months, even years, after the expiration date. It's best to avoid underexposure. And have the exposed film processed promptly.

As an example, I've exposed half a roll of Provia 100 slide film, left the camera in a drawer for a year at ordinary household temperature (varying between 60F in winter and 80F in summer), dug out the camera and finished the roll which I promptly had developed. I couldn't see any differences throughout the roll.

OTOH, a roll of Kodachrome 64 that was a few years out of date delivered poor quality slides, altho' the film was never subjected to extremes of temperature or humidity in storage. Kodachrome has a reputation for good archival properties, which I've observed in decades-old developed slides. But like any film it has limits.

A roll of Kodak 800 color negative film stored in a camera in my pickup truck's glove box for a year delivered mediocre prints, with some extreme color shifts and grain. Not surprising.

I've seen notable failures in b&w film under adverse conditions. A bulk roll of Tri-X left in non-air conditioned storage for a few years showed excessive fogging and was not useful for ordinary photography (it was useful when exposed at EI 200 and developed very carefully). And underexposed ("pushed") b&w film should be promptly developed to avoid excessive loss of the latent image. Even a month's delay is too long with something like Tri-X pushed to 1600.

Still another extreme example, a roll of T-Max 100, properly exposed but left undeveloped for several years, delivered good quality negatives when I finally got around to processing it.

Noel

If YOU ARE CONFIDENT that the film has been appropriately stored... there should not be problem... Appropriately

means in a cool and dry place... I have had T-max 400 CN stored in my refrigerator for years after expiration date and

were Ok... I have read that you can FREEZE them, I have never tried FREEZING but seems to be a "common practice"

SOme retailers sell expired film a very nice price... but , again, YOU HAVE TO BE CONFIDENT of they have stored the

film.

I hope this helps

JC

Any way there are always chances to have problems, but normally...

<I>OTOH, a roll of Kodachrome 64 that was a few years out of date delivered poor quality slides, altho' the film

was never subjected to extremes of temperature or humidity in storage.</I><br><br>I have just had some Kodachrome

processed which had a 1986 expiry date. It came back fine and had not been stored with any particular care. It

was sent in the 'process paid' envelope which comes with all Kodachrome sold in the UK and this was honoured

despite being 22 years old.