5D MKII- how will IS work in video mode

jwalk

In other words, as I am shooting video with my 5D MKII will the image stabilizer be on the whole time or will it be off?

I wrote Canon directly, they didn't answer. My guess is "off" because of the battery drain but I am hoping "on"

because that could be very helpful especially at telephoto ranges. What do you think? Am I missing any info on this

that has been posted somewhere already? Thanks! JW

I suspect that the battery drain due to IS will be small compared to that required for continuous "Live View" shooting. There's no technical reason why the IS shouldn't operate. It's a 100% self contained feedback system within the lens itself. It doesn't need any signals from the body to work.

My understanding of IS is that the image jerks when the shutter button is half pressed as the voice coil actuators are energised and the IS lens group is brought into the neutral position.

Thereafter the accelerometers detect lens movement and a proportional correction is applied smoothly to the IS lens group. Try moving the camera around gently and notice that the image in the viewfinder remains steady and does not jerk around.

The lens controls the IS. It doesn't know what the body is doing, so IS will be active during video shooting; and a good thing too.

Henry

There are a couple of things to bear in mind:

For watchable video you will want to use a tripod, otherwise you have vomit inducing shakey cam, especially if you view the 1080 video on a big plasma screen, as with still useage, if you are using tripod you should switch the IS off. You should also switch off AF (hunting looks terrible on video) and expose manually before shooting.

With current video IS systems if its left on whilst the cams on a tripod the motor keeps working and the picture drifts around the frame, only very slightly and not enough for you to notice on the 3" LCD screen. When you play back on your 40" plasma then keep a bucket handy....

If you hand hold, shoot with AF and AE then you are as well not doing it.

I recommend the sennhesier MKE400 as a good external mic, it will mount on the hot shoe and rycote do a windjammer for it.

Canon haven't had the foresight to fit a headphone socket as yet....

I still have reservations about the video mode, its a great add on, but if you are serious about video, you will stick to a camcorder. Bodes well for the future though.