Doing my first swimsuit shoot...any tips?

rochelle_negle

I'm a family photographer..I've dabbled in fashion..doing a couple shoots for a new designer starting a hair

accessory line, (which will soon be in Henri Bendel's).

I'm set up to do a shoot for a new designer starting a bikini line.

I was wondering if anyone has tips on shooting the girls (on posing, using body oil..anything really :)

Thank you!

Super wet look-- Pam cooking spray. Normally a "sweaty" look though. Glycerin added to a water spray bottle will keep the model wet longer (evaporates slower).

Avoid the hand bra, and other cliche topless-but-not poses that hacks do, after S.I. does it well.

Fill flash, and shoot during the magic hour of the day.

Action shots work well to sell the product instead of the girl-- they should be smiling, as the clothes make them happy :-)

Talk with the designer and get the concept. How are the bikinis new, modish, and different from all other bikinis? What changes in the usual formula of girls, beaches, tans, and lotion does that suggest? Possibly your models should be getting fierce on stage during a rock concert, beating up bodybuilders and taking their weights away, or sloshing down Fifth Avenue on a rainy day in rubber boots and umbrellas, just to show they don't care. Perhaps it's a high-end look that would go over better at poolside in a luxury hotel. Do something so the designer can brag, "My bikinis aren't just about looking scrumptious," but be sure to do it in a scrumptious way.