Where would you vacation?

"Relaxing" What's that?

Some of us are not contemplative by nature. The closest I come to it is to stay at one of the former 19th c utopian communities and do photography there.

My favorites: New Harmony, Indiana and Pleasant Hill, Kentucky - both have superb lodging and restaurants as well as photogenic historical settings.

<b>Northwest Scotland </b>, especially <b><a

href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikkormat/371202205/in/set-72157604287268258/"

><i>Skye</i></a></b>, Harris, Lewis and Uist and the Northwest Highlands.

<br>

<b>Italy</b> - Tuscany, Firenze, Padova, Siena, Roma and especially Venice, the Italian Lakes & the Dolomiti.<br>

<b>USA</b> - North/central California (the big "Y"), Wyoming (Tetons & Jellystone), southern Montana (ghost

towns, Bannack,

etc). And there's always the fabulous South-West ........

Lots of places have a lot of magnificent scenery. Sometimes "relaxing" is what you make of it. I recall my last trip to Yosemite, the sitting rooms in the old Wawona Hotel were well occupied with people just sitting and reading. I'd think if "reading" was the prime component, there would be lots of acceptable spots.

In California, a prime component for "relaxing" might be "not a weekend" or "not Memorial Day to Labor Day," although Yosemite Valley isn't deserted at any time, etc. A combination of Yosemite and the eastern Sierra Highway 395 country is pretty spectacular and getting off the main highway up the different side roads like Rock Creek, the Mammoth Lakes and Devil's Postpile, Lundy Canyon or the White Mountains, etc., is an area that you might have trouble convincing people was California if they see Los Angeles or San Francisco as "California." Grand Tetons and Yellowstone "off season" is great as well. When we've driven to that area, we went through Logan Canyon and then through the southeast corner of Idaho, then through Smoot and Afton, and there were numerous places out side the parks that were spectacular.

Sometimes it's just deciding not to make mileage and to spend time walking or looking, not rushing.

To Chris W.

100% agree about Provence. The most beautiful area in the world. In 2000 we took the TGV from Paris down to Nice. Perfectly clear blue skies and every 100 miles or so a nuclear power plant! No pollution. Had lunch in Dragunionne (sp?). The owner said "We are having sardines today!" but having lived in the US she knew our reaction. No, these were about 6" filets stuffed with spinach and baked. She bought them on the coast that morning. Unbelievably good.

In 2001 we drove from Beaulieu-sur-Mer (east of Nice) above Monaco and into NW Italy. Picked a great day to relax - 9/11.

No politics here, just my own history.

Chris W., thanx for that link, Provence is on my "someday" list.

New Zealand is looking and sounding real good.

Finally got to Italy last May, return REAL likely in next year or so. Nolan, Vatican is total sensory overoad, worth it.

Northern California and desert SW US, return trips to both, Dublin, Vienna.....so many places, such crappy lottery picks

Well I have lived in Alaska for several years and am going back in july to visit, so other than that, I would love to get on a train somewhere in Mexico, and ride it all the way to Patagonia, and then Ushuaia by boat, maybe even a boat trip from there to Antarctica.

First off, may I say to Rose Marie B: Any time you want to visit NZ, give us a call, my wife and I would love to show you around our little slice of paradise, where (Neill Farmer :-) ) you can still cross the road without looking - you just have to know where.

My favourite spots for photos/holiday would be NZ's Fiordland National Park - 10 hours drive from home, and I've lived there. Now I live to go back every chance I get. Stewart Island at the bottom of the South Island - never been, but would love to. Looks idyllic (in summer) with stunning natural landscapes. Internationally? Alaska's inshore passage, or South America's Patagonia.

Alan

If I had to pick one country it would be Australia, because it offers every type of photographic opportunity ranging from the mountains in Victoria that snow during the winter to the rugged outback and everything in between including rainforests.

Also you have some fantastic cities such as Sydney and Perth.

A great land of contrasts.