Looking for online gallery for Clients to view pictures

Right now I use smugmug.com which is GREAT. I love all the features and it's very easy to use. The only problem

that is at this moment in time I dont have a tax ID (I know I need one- I know.) Having a tax id is the only way to

allow people to purschase your prints from that website and have a portion of the money go to you. Does anyone

know a place that I could put my prints up online and have customers view their pictures and pick out prints and pay

for them there and then that payment (or a part of it) would go to me? The tax id thing shoudl be cleared up in the

next month or two but in the meantime I have a huge wedding with a lot of people who want prints and right now I

have them tell me which number print they want, what size, etc- and it's too much work for some people who just

want to click and order. Any suggestions?

Elizabeth, I'm not familiar with how Smugmug works, but I can tell you that you can use of SSN on your Schedule C for tax purposes - there's no requirement for a tax ID. If smugmug will allow it, why don't you just use that? The only reason I can think of for them to want it is they want to be able to generate a 1099 at the end of the year showing your earnings, rather than them having to report it as their own.

Also, if it's in fact an issue, you may be able to complete the application for a Tax ID online on the IRS website and get the number right away. Good luck! I envy you - you're getting paid. ;-)

I've used Printroom.com for three years. It's a good site. Cost is $99 a year, plus a percentage of sales. You can customize your storefront a lot, get free software to manage your galleries and tons of storage space (only thumbnails are stored online until you get an order and the full size image is needed). I'd guess I have about 125 galleries and probably close to 20,000 images on there now.

Elizabeth - I'm not sure if smugmug actually reports to the IRS or not. But it doesn't matter - if you have income you

have to report it to the IRS at tax time anyway, if you intend to be legal. The IRS code basically says that you are

taxed on all "Income from whatever source derived". Theoretically, that means cash as well, although we all know

what happens to cash payments for services rendered.

In a really oversimplified nutshell: in a full-blown IRS audit (which is pretty rare) they will obtain your banking records

and compare deposits to your reported income. You will be expected to reconcile any differences to justify the total

amount of your bank deposits not being the same as income. They also compare your reported income to the total of

all W-2s, 1099s, etc. and will automatically generate an audit letter to you if the reported income is not equal to or

greater than that amount.

IRS=PITA !

Elizabeth, I use Smugmug as well, and when you set it up, you fill out a w-9 stating your name and business, if registered. You can

work as a sole proprietorship, where you work under your SSN. All you need to do is fill out the W-9 form, and get it back to

smugmug, either via snail mail, email, or fax. It is very simple, but takes a few days. However, you can sell photos at your price, up

until you decide to "cash out", which is when they need that information from you.

As for all of that IRS stuff, they only require the form to be filled out for the same reason you would if you had hired another

photographer and paid them as a second shooter. They just need the information so they can show the IRS where their money is

going...