5D2, Do you need it or want it? or not

tdigi

I currently have a 5D original. I bought it brand new a few months ago for $1,799 (lots of rebates and coupons) and

completely happy with it. So, do I need the 5D2? Nope. Want it? At the current price? Not really. I'll wait until

either my 5D dies, or when the 5D3 is highly anticipated (as indicated by a 40% price reduction through rebates, or

whatever). Overall, you typically pay dearly for bleeding edge technology. Waiting for a 5D2 to drop below $1,700...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would SERIOUSLY consider the 5d2. Reputable source says super clean images up to ISO 6400!

It's not all about megapixels, although 21 is pretty nice. Video seems like a neat toy. but really, if the images are as clean as they're

supposed to be (mixed with that kind of resolution) i don't see why i shouldn't get one!

low noise, great LCD, resolution to spare, full frame, 1080 video... all for less than $3000? Why wouldn't someone consider it?

I will also actually be using the video function of this particular camera extensively in my business (which is more on the marketing end of photography), and in my opinion, is the greatest leap forward in large sensor imaging devices since the invention of the DSLR itself. In fact, I don't doubt that it will replace my XHA1 for a lot of things (where wider angles, portability, and DOF are important).

It actually saddens me that so many pass off video in our modern business model as a 'toy' considering how media driven the world is. It seems like the only people embracing video are the guys actually making the money and moving the industry forward (guys like chase jarvis, david hobby, tim tadder, among others). It is almost as if people think it is some sort of ethical superiority to use equipment and techniques that are a few generations old. While there's nothing wrong with using older equipment creatively, there is something wrong (to me) with people in the industry passing it off as foolish for some conjured up ethical reason (cash on hand not withstanding).

The excuse is always "I'm a photographer, not a videographer". Unfortunately many seem to fail to realize that the old saying "apprentice of all, master of none" doesn't actually hold a lot of weight these days.

For weekend warriors, strictly sticking to photography itself makes sense financially. But when it comes to running a business successfully, especially as a start up, requires a lot more business and marketing saavy than ever. I believe that gone are the days of simply being a photographer... these days, to be successful, it takes a sustainable and flexible business model functioning as the backbone long before photographic and lighting skills become a factor. Many photographers these days have become their own managers, creative directors, and marketing agents, where in the past, it was more of a master/apprentice role (at least to my understanding of the industry 50 odd years ago, not that I was around then).

Sorry , that ended up longer than I planned it to be :)

I want it, so I need it ;))

There is a whole new WORLD of possibilities coming with this brilliant camera. Even if you wonder "do I need the HD video...or...do I need the 21 MP full frame sensor...or do I need this or that" ;)) Yes Sir you DO ! Your mind will be full of new ideas pushed additionally by the new abilities of 5D Mk II. If you have the money GO AHEAD I am sure you will be happy ;))

Josh Root wrote: "<I>... We're trying to get a review unit from Canon for photo.net. So perhaps Bob or I will have a

chance to try it out.</I>"

<P>

A real review would be helpful ... OTOH Bob could "review" it from the spec sheet like he did for the Leica DMR.

Its very interesting reading everyones take.

Its also interesting about some people switching formats. considering the so so reviews of the 50D, I really think if the

reviews are bad for the 5D2 many will be switching to another format. I notice more people moving to Nikon now with the

great ISO performance of most of the new bodies. I hope the 5D2 is all its cracked up to be.

I do think the 5D2 will be a great camera and by spring I will most likely be joining the full frame party.

As others have said, right tool for the job. If you don't need it, then buy something else that enhances your end result, like a sharper or more contrasty lens.

Often I'm asked by strangers and friends alike when I'm out with my 1Ds or 40d about how they would like to get one too. My first question to them is always, "How big are you gonna print that picture?" If it's 8x10, then get a rebel and good sharp lens.

I have a friend whom shoots at the races and only upgraded to digital last year, as it was cost effective to stick with film. He told me that some of his associates switched early and after all the PC, software and upgrading to new lens' went broke because their results were no match for his film picts in the eyes of their customers. The initial outlay in cash was too much to recoup.

I shoot landscape photography, and mostly will pan and stitch my digitals to get a 30" print. However, I picked up a Mamiya 645 and have started to shoot film for those difficult scenes that needed the higher DR, or one shot does it. I can't justify the cost of a 21MP camera in lieu of a $100 used film camera and $6 per roll of film. It's not a Film vs. digital issue. It comes down to budget. I test all day with the 40d, and then pick a few to reshoot with the Mamiya. Scan the negs and edit right along with the digitals.

Once film becomes scarce, or no longer feasible, then I'll justify the need for a larger sensor.<div>00RPp5-86199584.jpg.821b4232b16d044e20e088aad5162dac.jpg</div>

Ouch Lauren, you'll pay issue price for next better pentax dslr then. Its always best to let any brand equiptment

prices settle down after launch. Pentax won't have anything better than K20D till next November to December as

usual. Then again if its a pressing need, then buy high & be the first one in. Why not cash out of eos 20D and

whatever glass you have now to fund the move to K20D? As it is today the B&H price is 47% off issue and 31% off

newly revised

lower price issue price on K20D Pentax. You'll have to wait an additional 6-8 months for their predictable 40% plus

price

drops on the Nov 2009 dslr. So that makes the best deal on it for you around July thru November 2010.

I'd rather wait a year &1/2 minimum on 5D Mark II aquisition but we go to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons yearly and

whenever the

next visit occurs I'd really like to add the Mark II 45 days before departure just for video option. If it weren't for video

capture I could

easily pass on it for 18 months or longer or better yet, skip it entirely:

I've found 5D are more than sufficient.

I'm happy I made the opposite gear move which I pondered and wondered about for prior

24 months. Full Frame imaging has improved my photography, and that goes for my wife's capture too. We're both

quite pleased and thats why I will relocate, finfd new homes for my equiptment accumulation. One brand dslr for now

is plenty. Though

D700 nikon full frame haunts me from time to time. But no HD Video. Oh Well.

As 5D mark has no autofocus during video recording I've scratched off a couple brand new canon made lenses I

might have impulse bought during this instant cash off promo thru 1-17-09 and instead I'll use three manual focus

nikon AiS

lenses I own instead: 300mm 2.8 plus its dedicated 1.4x and 2x teleconverters

So with 5D2 's offical announcement I've saved $2,265 on 2 additional eos lenses or one $4,100 lens I don't need now

just for video option so I'm thinking

ahead.

Lindy

I saw several demos of the Mk II at PhotoPlus last month, image quality at high ISO was outstanding as was the quality of the video, truely impressive. Yeah, I'll probably trade in the Mk I when the Mk II becomes available.

I want one just to leave in the glove compartment when you happen to be somewhere and see a shot that you want to take

maybe a 16 gig card and a new 3G lensbaby on it...thats the way you should think of this....i do , because i deserve it...loreal...

my other camera is a wide angle rollieflex 1961......

its here and if you want it, figure out a way to buy it..........just don't bring it to school and show it off to the other kids.......

This seems to be the next big thing, shooting video with a 'still' camera.

If you're serious about video or moviemaking of any kind, buy yourself a video camera.

They are designed from the outset to be video cameras.

I could put you to sleep with the reasons why, but trust me, I've worked in video (Cablevision Systems) and film, and

still photography. Get yourself the right camera for the job at hand.

Bill P.

I am quite happy with 5D and would not had thouught of purchasing something with more MPs. However, 21MP sounds tempting, as it approaches film resolution. I have no interest for the HD video, as I would not know what to do with it and, in principle, I don't go for multi-task gadgets (I never shot a photo with my cel. phone, although I could. I would have a non-camera cel. if I could find one!). It seems though that I could buy one if the price goes considerably down.

Oh it's always a WANT. No one needs a camara like this, but heck I want one.

Take my brother for example, he's not a pro, does not shoot for money and does it as a hobby. Well this last Christmas he made himself a

present by buying a new 1Dlll with a 50mm L and 70-200L and a $700 tripod and a $200 backpack with a total spending of like $8,000.00 +

and most was credit cards. He doesn't need all that, but he just wanted it and nobody will stop a person from doing what he WANTS.

Speaking of video, I shoot HD as part of my day job, and it's just akward from a job perspective to use a digicam, no matter what resolution for serious video work. Ergonomics plays a role. I find that 6.5fps from my both my 1Ds and 40d is enough to track and get the shot I need from a sequence.

My last photo shoot was in a hospital lab and head RN asked what kind of video my new 40D shoots and when I said it doesn't, he shook his head as if to suggest that I've been ripped off. C'mon, who buys a camera to just take pictures?

I bought a 1ds and two weeks later the 5d came out. I shoot professionally and have to have full-frame, but the 1ds has

way too much stuff that I will never use, and it weighs a ton. The 5d would have been perfect. Another consideration is that I sell large

prints and need all the resolution I can get. I'll be purchasing the 5d2 and relegating the 1ds to back-up.<div>00RQ1o-86291784.jpg.ca0533c5055cea021159c0740101bbd1.jpg</div>

Lindy Stone , Nov 06, 2008; 08:27 p.m.

If you want to add pentax, whats stopping you tonight?

AF USM lenses selection. If you do not need a 85mm 1.2 or a 200mm F2.0...etc, go for pentex :-) YOu are buying into a system, not just one body, one lens.

For people never do any cropping or editing on their images, 12Mp is more than enough. I crop my images heavily, sometimes a 21MP image cropped down to 4MP.

Tolik Pugach , Nov 07, 2008; 04:18 p.m.

Oh it's always a WANT. No one needs a camara like this, but heck I want one.

Take my brother for example, he's not a pro, does not shoot for money and does it as a hobby. Well this last Christmas he made himself a present by buying a new 1Dlll with a 50mm L and 70-200L and a $700 tripod and a $200 backpack with a total spending of like $8,000.00 + and most was credit cards. He doesn't need all that, but he just wanted it and nobody will stop a person from doing what he WANTS.

That is so true, I have a student friend, bought a new porsche $80k, monthly payment is $2500 and living in an rental apt. Macdonalds everyday and that's what he wants.

Need it: No

Want it: Yes

Get it: Maybe when the supply and demand stabilizes

I am going to look at Nikon (and Sony/Olympus/Pentax) again when the time is right to upgrade. Canon is behind on features and lighting flexibility. I want to have more creative opportunities, pure sharpness is no longer that important to me.

The 5D2 is a logical progression from the 40D for my photography as a landscape and nature

photographer. So, yes, I will get one. However, I will not get it right away. I'll let it settle down in the

market a little bit first.

I went from a 20D to a 5D. Bought the 5D just last November. Was sitting here debating whether the full frame higher pixel count was really worth it.

The answer is....................ABSOLUTELY! Creamy colors and gradation. Wide angle lenses are wide again, and shallow DOF is sooooooooo cool again.........heh.

So, will I buy the 5D Mk II? ABSOLUTELY! Not that I'm an equipment hound, but the extra mega pixels, the 14bit RGB, the auto sensor cleaning, the HD Video.....just make the upgrade worthwhile....in my opinion. Will probably sell the 5D, and keep the 20D crop cam for the telephoto "magnification" feature....kinda nice turning my 200mm f/2.8 into a 320mm f/2.8.

Probably wait till April/May 2009.