Finding a (wedding) photographer for just two hours

fred_monsone

Hi there,

I am planning a VERY low key wedding, mid-week, next June. there will be around ten people only. I was wondering

whether there would be any change of finding a photographer willing to take on such a small project bearing in mind

we would only need him/her for a couple of hours max.

The even will take place in Hampshire, UK. Any suggestions on how to approach this? It will be a very 'untraditional'

event, with no best man or bridesmaids and no white dress. Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

Fred

Federica - most photographers who receive this type of request will be unlikely to take the job unless you are prepared to pay their standard fee, especially given that your wedding date is in June. It is not worth a photographer's while to photograph your wedding over someone else's for a reduced fee at that time of the year.

Most couples who start out with such a statement then request that they pay a much reduced fee.

From a photographer's point of view, it is unlikely that they will end up only taking so few images - as far as they are concerned, they will be there for the duration, likely turning down other work that day (you can't attend two weddings at 1pm), and producing as many good images as they can. They may also be hoping to sell prints to guests. So it has to be worth doing.

My suggestion is to offer the photographers you approach their full fee, or enquire at your local college whether there are any photography students willing to expand their portfolio for a couple of hours work. Alternatively, you could ask a competent family member. I am sure that you will find a someone to photograph your wedding, but if you want a professional you have to pay professional rates.

I'd consider it. Drop me an email if you're interested.

I'm sure others would, but like me, there will be a minimum any photographer will charge.

[MODERATOR NOTE - HOPEFULLY MARK HAS A LINK TO HIS WEBSITE ON HIS PROFILE PAGE

AND/OR WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR FREE FOR PHOTO.NET YOU CAN ACCESS EMAILS. WEBSITE

HAS BEEN REMOVED AS PER PHOTO.NET POLICY - CLICKING ON MEMBER'S NAMES WILL BRING

YOU TO THEIR CONTACT INFO]

Hi Fred

In wedding photography, Thursdays in June aren't really classed as mid-week, more the beginning of a long busy

weekend!

You can get some discount for Thursdays - we for example, would give between 10-15%, but if anyone was willing to

drop by more than that I'd walk away - it's a fine line between getting a good deal and getting a disaster. If a

photographer is that desperate for work that they will drop that amount, you need to ask why they are so desparate

in the middle of the season!

Anyway, good luck searching, and check out our website a - even if we don't suit you it

will give you an idea of what we can offer to compare against others

HTH

Lee

[MODERATOR NOTE - HOPEFULLY LEE HAS A LINK TO HIS WEBSITE ON HIS PROFILE PAGE

HAS BEEN REMOVED AS PER PHOTO.NET POLICY - CLICKING ON MEMBER'S NAMES WILL BRING

In this economy , there should be many willing to work. We specialize in 2 hour coverages and our market ... has your size wedding > mid week ~~ year around. Film is mainly our choice : for requesting coverage of a very 'untraditional' event.

Most wedding packages are priced to provide more hours of coverage and various assorted goodies like prints and an album. In your case, I would suspect that the photographer would treat your event more like a corporate event and charge at something of an hourly rate. Albums and extras I would guess would be negotiable. Suggest that you fing someone with quality work and explore prices before you start looking for a deal. If your agenda is primarily based on getting a "deal" or finding someone "on the cheap", then your best bet is to take a look at Craiglist.

Hi Fred.

I'd be interested in covering your wedding.

Have a look at my work...

Give me a bell if you're interested.

All the best.

Andy

[MODERATOR NOTE - HOPEFULLY ANDREW HAS A LINK TO HIS WEBSITE ON HIS PROFILE PAGE