File Size For DVD Slide Show on TV's???

I am going to produce a dvd of my nature images that I can sell. Is there a "standard size" that I should create

the image files in for this sort of overall, general use. I am envisioning that many of my customers will play

the "slide show" on there fairly big televisions at home or in an office lobby. I will also include a screensaver

program for peoples computers. I am just not familiar with the average resolution of flat screen tv's today. I

know it varies, but if some of you have experience with the best general sizing, it would be a great starting point.

Thanks!

Jon

Most new DVD players will display JPEG images of any size. While large files will be downsampled to fit the screen, this can delay the display significantly. For better performance, size the images to fit a 480x720 pixel box (e.g., Photoshop/Image Processor). This will make both vertical and horizontal shots fit the screen exactly.

You have better control over the display and can add transitions, timing and music (or a sound track) by compiling the slide show as a "movie". There are several programs which can do this, including Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Encore DVD and Apple i-Photo. You don't have to resize your images - they will be compiled to fit the screen.

As noted, photos don't always look good on a standard definition TV set. However when played using a Blu-Ray or upsampling DVD player to an high definition TV, photos look VERY good - as good as on a projection screen, possibly better, and far more convenient. Even standard definition video looks better on an HD set. SD video has twice the resolution of a standard TV set.

If you actually mean to burn it as a standard DVD to play on any NTSC DVD player, one problem is that standard DVD's don't have square pixels; the resolution is 720 pixels wide x 480 high (only 0.3 MP!), but with a 4:3 aspect ratio, so that each pixel is 12.5% taller than it is wide.

Now if you mean a high-definition (Blue Ray) DVD, the standard high-definition resolutions have a 16:9 aspect ratio, and are 1920 x 1080 pixels (2.1 MP) and 1280 x 720 pixels (0.9 MP), and yes, the pixels are square. You will need a special Blue Ray DVD burner and authoring software.

P.S.

Most people don't yet have Blue Ray DVD players, so that's a problem too. Either you have a standard DVD with very low still picture quality, or a standard Blue Ray DVD with okay picture quality but the inability to play on most people's players, or a non-standard DVD with your JPEG's that may play on many DVD players, but with unpredictable compatibilty. Really, none is good for something you hope to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

I am sizing images at 720x480, which appears to be the maximum that a DVD will provide.

For the time being, this will work best for my current needs. As a large format gallery photographer doing very large prints (4x6 feet), I know this is a compromise that I have to live with. I just need to look at each medium for its specific value.

Thanks again for your help.

Jon