SHARPEST lenses for Nikon DSLR's

rochelle_negle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good lens, under the proper circumstances, lighting, subject... (lets think, intricate insect, vs. glowing sunset) this is such a subjective topic..... sharp enough for a photojournalist may not be sharp enough for a macro enthusiast. The important thing is a lens that will capture the "feeling" attempting to be conveyed with the subject at hand. Also, the definition required for the subject at hand.... This topic has already been discussed ad nauseum (in this blog alone). A good question may be... what is the sharpest lens to purchase for rare coins and/or postage stamps....

To be honest, if you're talking practically (rather than in relation to carefully measured image quality in controlled conditions) then I might go out on a limb and say that sharpness in fact is synonimous with speed.

What I mean is this. I hand-hold for 90% of my images. As such the degree to which an image is sharp is infinitely more affected by the shutter speeds available to me than the optical characteristics of a lens. Put more simply, the very best lens will be less sharp if I can only use it at 1/30 than a 'lesser' lens that has enough aperture that I can routinely use it around 1/100 or faster in the same situation.

I know this answer is not one that the technophiles among us like, and I - like all of us - enjoy thinking that I have optically great glass. But in practical useability terms, there is some sense in what I say...

Richard, I believe you are right. The whiskey on the Nikon shot is lighter. Part of the problem is that I used the RAW file

from the Nikon and the jpeg from the Canon because I changed the picture size and knocked off the RAW file. So there

was some in camera processing done to the Canon file.