Nikon sb-800 Ring Light Attachment: Worth $200?

ted_springer

IMO, if it doesn't function with the microswitches in the SB-800 to tweak the performance the way Nikon's own brand pop-on diffuser does, it's probably nothing you couldn't duplicate with an aluminum pie pan, some metallic paint, a styrofoam plate and some tape. Seriously, I've made some really good performing, albeit ugly, homebrewed diffusers using materials already around the house.

Before plonking down that much dough for a ready-made diffuser or other light modifier, try a few homebrews.

Also, based on the results I've seen online for these "ring light" modifiers, they don't work anywhere near as well as a true ring light.

BTW, here's a link to a set of illustrations for other clever homebrewed modifiers (notice I specified "clever" meaning, not my own ideas): Aki Korhonen

It takes a real optical engineering genius to compute all the reflectors necessary to get light from a single flash to bounce around a ring and exit uniformly over the entire ring. That's why the neither the $200 products nor the pie-tins produce a classic "ring flash" refection. A pie-tin can do pretty good, if you rig it to hold at least 3 flashes...

I rigged a ring that holds four SB-800 or SB-80DX and puts a larger ring diffuser in front of it. All the reflectors are silver cloth, the diffuser white rip-stop Nylon, the outer shell black RSN, the frame two aluminum hoops and some Velcro. Four lights facing forward into the ring, I have power comparable to the AB, with stuff I already have...

• 4 months later...