Minolta Autocord Hot Shoe

Hi all. I intend on buying a Minolta Autocord, mostly because I intend to stay faithful to the Minolta brand and

also because I like this particular camera. Now, I attached 2 pictures of my "Made in China" triggers and my

question is:

Can you use these triggers with this particular camera?

P.S. The triggers worked on every other digital or film camera I tried.

Thanks, Andi.<div>00RLwM-84403584.jpg.2deb5377787260052b2ee8bd3b3d9fe2.jpg</div>

The Autocord does not have a hot shoe as such. The flash shoe has what looks like an electrical contact, in fact this

is just a mechanical feature to help retain the flashgun on the shoe (at least it is on my camera). It does have a

standard PC flash terminal which should be connectable to the flash trigger.

There is a thread in the Medium Format forum from a couple of days ago where I replied to a similar query which may

be relevant.

I may be missing something here?!? Trigger??!! Not all cameras have a "hot" shoe. Here in Europe you can still find

a "Hama" piece that will fit in the shoe with a so called pc cord to connect to the lens or where ever the flash

"connection" is. It's only been in the last 40 or 50 years that most flash "shoes" are "hot" The Autocord is a TLR

right? My Yashica has a shoe on the body, but the "flash" connection

is elsewhere on the body. I suspect the Autocord may be similar<div>00RM3W-84455784.jpg.ca29060eb870fc4bda7a65ac47c1773f.jpg</div>

The trigger in the picture will not work directly with the Autocord as it is made to fit on a hot shoe, i.e. a flash shoe with an electrical contact. To connect it to the flash terminal of the camera you need one of these: http://www.flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/0069.shtml (from the Medium Format forum thread I mentioned).

I wouldn't like to get drawn into an Autocord vs Hasselblad debate but the Autocord is a very good TLR with a nice Rokkor lens and the leaf shutter will synchronise with the flash at all shutter speeds.

I am far away from wanting to go in a Autocord/Hassy battle!

Hassy is by far the best at film and digital in the world, no doubt about that.

My question was, why should the flash trial and error be more complicated with a Autocord then with any other medium format film camera, may it be Hassy, Mamiya, or anything else?!

John, thank you for the link, I presume that specific cable is somewhat unexpensive.

Chuck, thanks for the photo and explanation.

Andi.

Well, Its almost that easy.

There are broadly two types of electronic flashes, old ones with high voltage triggering, and newer ones with low voltage triggering. Both types will work on older cameras, but don't use a high voltage flash on a newer camera.

There are broadly two types of trigger outputs on older cameras. delayed shutter and not delayed. The shutter delay was to cater for flash bulbs that took a little time to get up to peak brightness. Electronic flash doesn't give good results if fired before the shutter opens.

On your Autocord, check that the flash sync is set to X.

Good luck.

Greg

I'm sure the Autocord will be fine with the setup you describe. You will just need to set the selector for electronic flash, that is the lightning symbol on the little lever below the lower lens. The other position with the bulb symbol is for bulbs which as stated require a slight delay to reach full brightness.

Here is a shot of my camera showing the lever set for electronic flash.

Andi as far as your question about what I think of the Autocord, I've got a number of TLR's which I enjoy a lot. I too like Minolta and I think the Autocord is one of the best. What's most important is to get one in good working condition - one of the common faults is that the focussing lever becomes stiff and can break off in some cases. Luckily mine is fine in this respect. One advantage is that the film winds downwards in the Autocord. In most TLR's it winds upwards which means that the 90 degree bend in the film path can affect film flatness. You probably won't see what I mean until you get the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrei, I know this response is a little late, but I have two Autocords. I love 'em. In fact, I was out shooting with one

today.

I feel they are easy to handle, take VERY sharp pictures, and work great for flash photography also.

My one suggestion, though, would be get either a handle mounted flash, or a flash bracket. Overall it makes the

camera easier to handle with a flash attached.