D90 and 50mm 1.8 - Halloween Shots

gej_jones

I just received my D90 from B&H.

The kids will be knocking on the door within minutes and I wanted to take pictures of them. I put the Nikon 50mm

1.8 on the body and nothing happens. The battery is charged. I've gone through the setup and everything seems to

be correct. To check, I exchanged lenses and the 18-200 works fine.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you for any help

More information:

I installed the 30mm on my d40x and I get an error message that says the lens is not attached. I took it off and then reinstalled it and got the same message.

Is there something that I should look at to see if it is damaged or missing or not set correctly on the lens?

Jonathan ~

I've done some research and a lot of reading - I am getting an error message (F-- blinking).

I've tried the lens on three different cameras (D40x, D70, D90) and can not take a picture with any of them. In each case the camera says that the lens is not attached.

I think I have a bad lens.

Gej

If I recall F-- blinking means you haven't locked the len's aperture at f/22. Double-check that. Also, try

taking the lens off and playing around with the aperture ring. As you change the aperture manually, you should

see the aperture blades move and the aperture actually physically change. If not, you might have stuck aperture

blades...