using the VR for Track and Field

mightypir

I am a bit confused about using VR while photographing my kids (ages 5-10) annual track and field day. The event

is in daylight with early morning sun.

Last year I successfully took photos of my daughter's races using my D200 and 70-300G. I was basically seated

beyond the finish line and I had the camera on CH and fired and zoomed as she ran diagnoly towards us.

As the race was only 20-25m, I took 45-60 shots in quick bursts as I was afraid that the buffer would fill up

(unfounded fear from my D70 days). Shot JPEG, Large Normal. Kept the AF on center sensor, C mode and tried to

keep the sensor on her as she ran. Shutter speed fluctuated between 1/250 to 1/1000 as she ran from shade into

sun. (I was not comfortable with auto iso so kept it at 800, will not do so again) Got fairly good results using

Av mode, with lens wide open.

Not the best of settings, but I did get some nice results and learned a lot. Shade at 300mm was the worst, got

better as we got into the sun at lower focal lengths.

I now have a 70-300VR lens. Next week is the same event for this year. I will keep the camera in Auto ISO (max

800?), and use Av mode again to keep the shutter speed at the max. Center cross hair AF, C mode with drive in CH.

BUT. What do I do for the VR? I have noticed that when on takes a few seconds to stabilize the image. Does

this mean that I should turn off VR if the D200 is shooting in CH mode as it would slow things down? I should

point out that at the start of the race, the lens will be racked out to 300mm. And its the shade area so the

shutter speed will be slower.

Once the image is stabilized, it stays that way. Just partially depress the shutter button to get the VR to kick in. If you shoot a burst, and immediately re-acquire with a half-press, you'll keep the VR awake. Having VR on won't slow down the frame rate at all, it just adds a little latency when you first depress the shutter button half way.

While you have only a little better new lens - when comparing to the old G lens, at the shutter speeds that you

mentioned the VR will be of not much help. Perhaps you will get sharper pictures turning VR off.

Then again, you would do much better with a faster AF-S lens or even faster AF lens, e.g. max aperture 2.8, or 2.0

would allow acquire more accurate and perhaps faster focus, even if you shoot at 5.6 if you want to preserve the

same depth of field.

I use my AF-S 70-300 VR for High School Track in the spring time and very happy with the results as long as I have good light. I can see your problem with the early morning light and long shadows causing problems with not having consistent pictures. I have read where some people have trouble taking pictures with the runner coming straight on but I have shot hurdlers coming straight at me and the pictures are great. I always use Af-c, single area mode, and AP mode for my shooting. I don't know if I helped you or not but good luck next week.

Gentlemen, thank you for the responses.

Matt: so you are suggesting that I first let the VR stabilize when the race begins and then not take my finger off the release completely? I ending up with 55 shots last year and I was not keeping the shutter pressed throughout, rather feathering it as I was concerned that the buffer would fill up and freeze the camera. (Memory card is 1GB Ultra II). Is this also an unfounded fear with the D200?

Frank: I went back and looked at all my photos from last year. Virtually all were at higher shutter speeds 1/250+. Only one shot was out of focus indicating that focus tracking speed is not an issue at least for the subjects with this combo and that was when I got the center sensor off my kid. I am hoping that with AFS the new lens should be even better. Cost considerations mean that a 80-200 2.8 is out of the question, also I think that it would be a bit short for my use.

Tim, do you keep the VR on or off? Your set up is pretty much what I use too. I have been experimenting with auto ISO and this time I will use it...last time I kept ISO at 800 which was fine for the first few shots in the shade, but as we got out into the sun I could have easily moved down a couple of stops.

20 years ago when I was in school I used to use a Nikon FA, in S mode. With a 80-200 and ISO 400 speed I would not have any problems in the daytime, and the S mode had an auto override to prevent wrong exposure, something that is lacking in the D200.

One other factor that I forgot to mention is that I have also acquired a monopod since last year. I am thinking of taking that along, but am not sure if the school's security staff would let me (we would be sitting in the grandstand/seating area and cannot move around).

Since Farooq shoots at "all were at higher shutter speeds 1/250+. " perhaps VR just should be turned Off. VR starts working great at slower than this fast shutter speed.

If you turn VR off, the VR "shaker" optical element is positioned in the parked location, and thus providing best optical performmance of the lens.