DA 40mm on the film *ist ?

tim_drake

I've heard conflicting stuff, and seen some photos at some point.

I know for a fact the 12-24 does work on film from 18-24 without vignetting. But we've yet to see on this forum a post that I can recall that has tested the 40mm DA, and I cannot find my photo sources of the 40mm.

People more intimate with lens design than myself have said it's a very similar design to the FA 40mm pancake, some have said it's identical.

I went with the 43mm because it's really not much bigger when you take the hood off. Don't forget most photos of the 43mm are with the hood, and yeah, it both looks and is huge with the hood!!

I'm a provia fan myself but sold my ist 35mm didn't see much use with the PZ-1P around, as well as my more manual film cameras, truly amazing how small it was though. The guy I sold it too said, I knew it was small but it's much smaller than I'd imagined.

The small size with the feature set is incredible, but I wish they had made it a little better quality. I just couldn't warm up to the noticeable shutter lag, sometimes clumsy handling with the control layout, and rather flimsey plastic construction. I like the ZX-L better, and really like the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited on it.

I have done tests on all the DA and DA* lenses I have. See the results here. I was surprized that most lenses could be used on full frame. The lenses with some vignetting can always be cropped a little, especially with the K20D that has 14.6 MP to begin with.

http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2008/10/who-said-you-couldnt-use-your-dada.html

Also, there are rumors about a new APS-H sensor for Pentax which would have a 1.3x factor. See here:

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2008/11/rumor-from-china-pentax-k30d-with-a-14mp-aps-h-sensor-and-k300d-wcmos.html