Please help me to decide between Nikon Capture NX2 and Lightroom 2

robin_barnes

I like the image quality of Phase One Capture 1 as the best I've used, though I haven't used NX. I shoot a D200. It's a raw processor only, but I can save a stop over LR, Aperture or ACR and the color accuracy and clarity of the image is noticeable to me.

Choosing a RAW converter based on the supposed superiority of 'the interface' (a matter of some debate of course, including what people mean by non-defined terms like 'clunky') is a lot like worrying about which type of aircraft will take you to a destination. If the destination is more important to you, the answer is Capture NX.

I have the feeling we have many camera users who seem to be new to computing, and who suffer from that scourge of modern times, ADHD. All applications reward practice and research into their usage, via technical fora, the help system and (eek) the manual. There are still plenty of IF issues to dislike about Photoshop, and that application is seemingly older than many photographers!

I particularly recommend NX to you as a newcomer, since it alone renders the NEF according to its camera settings. Many users love this feature and even some pros suggest using these settings as a starting point for editing. I don't agree, I believe one should have a consistent 'ground up' approach to image preparation, but the value of this feature as a learning tool is obvious.

Control point technology is another key advantage, now available for almost all tools in NX.

But finally, take this piece of information: many rusted on Nikon users of Adobe products (and there seems to be an army of them) still return to NX to deal with what they regard as 'problem images' - the reason is that the application always seems to have a tool to provide an answer for your problem. At the end of the day, the output quality is what should matter to serious photographers. Lightroom reputedly makes for a great file manager.

• 1 year later...