Zion - Subway in Winter?

anish

Hello All,

I'm planning on visiting Zion National Park over Christmas, and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience hiking to

the Subway in winter. I would be hiking only the lower section from the bottom up. I've done this hike in the fall, and

am dying to see what photographic opportunities will reveal themselves in winter. Considering it is a pretty wet hike

as it is, I'm wondering if any parts of the route in particular get iced over in winter, or if there are any other hazards I

should be aware of. I'm in pretty good shape, and am comfortable off trail. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Anish

Anish, I have only got to the Subway once and I didn't actually make it. It was early June after a wet winter and the Zion Narrows were closed due to high water levels. On my trip the water level was higher than normal but it didn't stop me for most of the trip (I was taking the same route you are planning). However just before the subway comes into view you have to hike up a smooth 6 foot slope. When it is dry its no problem. However when I was there was a uniform 1/2 inch of water from one side to the other. The rock was so slick I couldn't make it up.

In December there probably will be more water flow than what you saw. You could be wet before you even get to the Subway since you will have to cross the stream many times during the hike. Hypothermia is a serious risk you would be taking. I would advise contacting some of the outfitters in Springdale for more advice. They would have a better idea on the likely conditions.

thanks for the reply, Steven. I do recall the slick areas before the subway. i will have canyoneering boots, neoprene socks and probably a drysuit, so i'll be well protected against getting wet/cold. the boots did great at getting up the wet slopes, but if they ice over, it might be a different story. given that the elevation is fairly low, i'm hoping it won't freeze over. thanks again.

anish

Anish, I thought about doing the same thing this winter. Navigating up the slickrock would be the one thing I'd be concerned about as the canyoneers won't grip anything if iced over. Probably just the last ramp up would be of concern as the rest of the trail is mostly dry till the crack, although if you plan on going all the way to the tree, I'd be careful if the pools freeze over. I'm not sure there's enough water flow over the pools to keep them from freezing.

laurent,

a little ice over the pools is exactly what i'm hoping for! according to the ranger, though, the flow in winter is similar to the flow in fall. so while there should still be water movement, there may be a little freezing up along the edges of the pools. there's a fair chance that parts of the final ramp will be slick, but i remember that ramp being fairly wide, and not all of it was wet. hopefully, there are enough dry areas for us to get up. and hopefully, i can capture some worthwhile images!

anish