buying a new desktop

Hi folks,

Forgive me if this is a double post, but my computer is on it's last legs and doing very strange things.

I'm wondering if anyone here who uses large format and makes big prints (40"x50") could give me some advice on

buying a new computer. I shoot 4x5 and scan the negs on an Epson V700. I want something that can handle colour

files that will be printed at 40"x50" at 360 dpi. My current computer just can't do it (but then it is 8 years

old and has a 30 gig hard drive.) I don't know, is the kind of processing power I'm looking for just the norm on

consumer PC's these days, or do I need to be careful with what I buy?)

(Disclaimer: I'm going to buy a PC, not a mac. Please, I beg you, no endless arguments about the superiority of

one format over the other. Just looking for specific advice on PC's.)

There is a good deal on the HP Pavilion Slimline 53505f DT at a store by my house, and I'm wondering if anyone

has any comments on this computer for digital darkroom work. I like how small and quiet it is, and it is about 5

times the computer I'm running now, so I'm tempted to buy it.

Any info, or other recommendations, would be appreciated.

thanks!

JT

Jamie

If you want a fighting chance to succeed:

The most important factor in your new PC is the quantity of memory. With standard windows including vista (which is what you'll get with a new PC) you can use up to 3gb of memory. Get that much. If your deal does not support 3gb of memory, do not buy it, find another deal. I am guessing this should be enough memory. It is the most you can use without going to special windows 64 bit and the latest photoshop or a mac.

I would hesitate using windows 64 bit, too many drivers still are not available. It, with the latest photoshop, would allow you to use more memory. If you can put it in your machine (most PC top out at 4gb, some high end models, ie expensive, allow up to 8gb.

In all cases, in Photoshop (I am assuming you use PS) in the configuration make sure it is set to use the maximum recommended amount of memory.

Next most important is processing power. This wont affect being able to do it. It will affect how long it takes. Just make shure you have a dual core processing with preferably 2.4 ghz or better. Finally A good hard disk (fast more than big). You can always add a second big hard disk to archive all the image files.

good luck

Edmond

thanks Ray and Ed.

I think I am going to go ahead and buy the Pavilion Slimline as I won't have to wait for it in the mail, and I can take it right back to them (a few blocks from my house) rather than sending it through the mail if something goes wrong. It has all the specs you mentioned as being important, so I think it will work fine for me.

I'm wondering if either of you have an opinion on XP versus Vista? It comes with Vista, but I also own XP. Like everyone else, I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Vista. Should I just install XP instead?

Ray

I use XP. Vista has issues related to improved security which broke a lot of software and older hardware. If you use new version of software this is less of a problem. Personally, I would go with XP and wait until windows 7 before upgrading (less bugs by then). But I use a good 3rd party security package.

Good luck

Edmond