Nikon 18-135 or Sigma 17-70 HSM

ajay_ukidve1

I am going on a holiday to Singapore-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia starting 29 Nov for 2 months. I am

carrying a Nikon D70s with the Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30mm HSM and Nikon 70-300 VR. I have both the Nikon 18-135

and the Sigma 17-70 HSM. I want some advise as to which of the two I should take with me. I am asking this

because I have found the Sigma takes better pictures with respect to distortion and CA, however the Nikon has the

extra reach. As I see it either the 18-135 or the 17-70 and the Sigma 30mm would be on camera most of the time.I

will mostly be shooting travel pictures. Landscapes, historical buildings like at angkorwat, some shopfronts, streets,

people, early morning and a little bit of night life. Lastly is there a need to purchase a second battery. Thanks in

advance. Ajay.

I just tried the 18-135 last weekend and I have mixed feelings about it. It was pretty sharp at f8 and 11, and gave decent colors, and I loved not having to change lenses every five minutes like I do with my primes. The deal breaker for me was the horrendous CA. Perhaps it was some newbie mistake I made that could have prevented it, but it was there nonetheless. Because you said you were taking the 70-300 already, I don't see the need for the overlap the 18-135 would give you. I'd just bring the Sigma and you'd be covered from 17-300, besides you said the Sigma was better anyway. With respect to a battery, I'd get one on ebay. I paid $12 from some seller (can't remember who) and my generic EN-EL3e lasts just as long as my OEM one and has saved me once already when my cam ran out of juice. I figure $12 would be worth it if you are out on some remote location and don't have the ability to stop and plug your charger into a wall for an hour.

Tyron thank you for your quick response.

The Nikon 18-135 is very sharp as you mentioned it has bad CA, distortion and light fall of (vignetting) at certain focal lengths. However its good at F8 and 11. The Sigma beats it for everything except sharpness both are the same. I am an amateur so my problem is that what I see through the view finder at 60 or 70mm I cannot visualize if it will make a better shot at 80,90 or 100 unless I zoom to and see it physically. Then change to Nikon 70-300. May be its a bad habit and unnecessary but for any shot I run the lens through its zoom range and select the best as I feel it. This time I think Ill go by your advise forget the 18-135 and stick with the 17-70. It does give prime like pictures. Yes I am buying a battery too, though here in India it costs around 1500 INR thats about USD 30.