Nikon lens recommendations

miklosphoto

Nikon users,

I am just about to convert from Canon as the D700 is more appealing to me than even the new 5D.

I know all the Canon lenses in-and-out but do not know much about the Nikkors. I got though a general impression

that Canon lenses are having a better reputation, that is probably the only one factor what still makes me hesitate.

Anyway I am planning to get a prime 50mm plus another lens. I do portraits, events, parties and usually a lot

kids running around.

Give me please you top three choices of either Nikkors or 3rd party lenses for Nikon.

I am not interested in cheap kit lenses, neither supper wide nor anything more than 200mm. My photography is

between 35 and 200mm.

thanks a lot for any suggestion.

Photozone has published tests on most all the lenses. They are accurate i my opinion.

I tested a D700 with the 85 1.8 yesterday. Super fast AF and it is a pretty good lens. Nice handling. 105 2.8 AFD is also

nice handling and very good. The new VR gets big.

Just get a 50 1.8 unless you need 1.4.

I would pick two of those three.

With a few exceptions, Canon and Nikon have very similar lenses in their line ups.

Which Canon lenses would you choose in this situation? If you can list them, it is not hard to identify Nikon equivalents. Currently Nikon is missing some AF f1.4 wide angles and Nikon does not have any 70-200mm/f4 AF-S zoom.

Otherwise, you should be just fine.

I also don't think Canon lenses have a better reputation. The fact that quite a few Canon users adapter certain Nikon lenses such as the 17-35mm/f2.8 onto 1Ds family camera is very telling. Nikon lenses do tend to be a bit more expensive than equivalent Canons, though.

70-200/2.8

<br><br>

17-35/2.8

<br><br>

85/1.4

<br><br>

Or perhaps, when it can be purchased, the new 50/1.4 AFS... or Sigma's beefy new one, which seems very well received.

<br><br>

But then, this is SO subjective. Some will spank me over the 70-200's far-corner/wide-open behavior on an FX body.

I'd say the corner issue on the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR at 200mm is a complete non-issue for Miklos' photo interests: portraits, events, and parties.

Now I have an FX body myself, it is very easy to test that lens. The problem is in small areas in the extreme four corners.

I am still waiting for Miklos to specify which Canon lenses are his picks.

Shun,

my favorite Canon lenses:

24-70mm f/2.8 - I keep hearing that the Nikkor is not as good as the Canon

70-200mm f/2.8 IS - this is awesome lens but I did not use it very often

50mm f/1.2 - don't really need the 1.2, will limit my chioce to decided between the 1.4 and 1.8 nikkors

85mm f/1.2 - the best lens I have ever had

135mm f/2 - the sharpest lens I have ever had

currently I have only the 24-70mm lens, all the rest is sold.

Miklos

Nikon's 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S should be the obvious choice for event photography. Except for the serious vignetting at 24mm, f2.8, this is an excellent lens. I have never used the Canon. It doesn't matter which is actually "better"; as long as you decide to go with the D700, only the Nikkon will fit it.

Nikon's 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR is also an easy choice. IMO the corner issue is greatly exaggerated; for event photography, that is a completely non issue and the 24-70's vignetting is also a non issue.

If you want a fast 50mm, wait for the new 50mm/f1.4 AF-S to become available.

Nikon does not make a 85mm/f1.2. The 85mm/f1.4 AF-D is an excellent lens. The only hitch is that given that there is now a 50mm/f1.4 AF-S, I would expect a 85mm/f1.4 AF-S soon, but I could be wrong. If you can wait, avoid the 85mm/f1.4 AF-D for now.

I have no experience with Nikon's 135mm/f2 myself.

For several years, Nikon was way behind in terms of DSLR bodies and technology. But the D3 and D700 turn that around. For ~$2500 or so, the D700 will give you Nikon's best AF system and excellent high ISO results. I do agree that the AF points on the D700 are too concentrated in the center of the frame, but every other FF DSLR has the exact same issue.

According to Bjorn Rorslett, the new 24-70 is better:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_02.html#AFS24-70FX

His opinions, along with Thom Hogan's, are widely respected.

The 24-70 has nano coating so that it is more flare resistant, and at least IMO it important to have that extra 4mm on

the wide end for event photography.

I actually have had just about every constant f2.8 zoom model Nikon has ever made, except for the 24-70mm/f2.8, but I

have tested four different copies of it because of the vignetting issue.

I currently use my 28-70mm/f2.8 on my D700; it is still a fine lens on an FX DSLR, but I think the 24-70 is the better

choice.

I have had the 24-70mm 2.8 for two weeks now and love it. I upgraded from a D300 w/ the 17-55mm 2.8 to the D700 and

24-70mm 2.8.

I can't speak for canon lenses but I can tell you that I feel like the 24-70 is one damn good lens and I am using it about 80%

of the time. It is a tad heavy and a bit large for that focal length but IMHO it's well worth it.

My 2 cents for your lens selection: 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 80-200mm 2.8.

Miklos, though I am through and through a Nikon man, I don't understand why you are shifting systems from Canon especially when you have such a large number of quality lenses? I have never used the Canon 5D but by all reviews it seems to be a very capable camera. Just curious on your reasoning.

If I were getting a D700, I would go with the 24-70/28-70 and 70/80-200 as they should take care of the subjects that you indicate as your main ones. A 50mm 1.8 would be cheap and easy to manage as well.

best regards

Farooq

Shun, thanks for answering for me :-)

Actually, my Canon 24-70mm was also sold last night on eBay for $950. And this morning I picked up a Nikkor 28-70mm for $900. I decided to go with a compromise as the 24-70mm would be much more expensive. This way my Canon lens paid for my Nikon.

Then probably I wait out the new 50mm AF-S and save for the 85mm f/1.4.

Miklos