What is your favorite lens for good bokeh?

rarmstrong

My personal fave is the 105mm f/2.5. Despite all my efforts, I've yet to create 'bad' bokeh using this lens.

I think the key here is not whether good bokeh is possible from a lens. There are certainly plenty of examples in this post showing that all sorts of lenses, primes, zooms, ones with many/few lens elements can produce excellent bokeh. My personal experience has been that the camera-subject-background distance the biggest contributing factor. Note especially images of birds, where the background is almost at infinity.

However, put the same lenses in difficult situations (the two Lex mention are probably the worst), and here is where I think you begin to separate the best from the not as good.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most of these photos are not good example of Bokeh as most do not have Bokeh in them. Bokeh is the 'Shape' that a small bright spot in an image will take that matches the shape of the lenses 'iris' when it is closed down. Bokeh (good or bad) will not be seen usually unless there is a bright spot in the background. A very small spot that is smaller than the 'Aperture' will create exaggerated Bokeh."

Bokeh in Japanes means 'blur'. The phototgraphic term of bokeh is derived from this. The above statement is incorrect.

Peter, I love your "leaning over" image! And I think you are correct. So far, through this discussion and some reading that I have done related to the question I have the following observations...

The term bokeh seems to have originated from the Japanese word "boke" which loosely translated means "fuzzy". In photography, it has come to be the term used to describe the out of focus portions of an image. It does not require highlights, shapes, circles, etc., just that it be out of focus.

Different lenses produce different bokeh.

The effect is a function of aperture, as well as distance from the subject and can be varied with prior knowledge of how a certain lens performs.

There is a huge subjective(artistic) element in how different viewers interpret the results of the bokeh produced by various lenses.

This is a fascinating subject and worthy of continued discussion.

Let us continue:-)...............

Great image, Peter. Stephen Worth-I think you had great insights. Actually, in your image of the fellow with the couple in the background, I think that background to be jarring, I would prefer is smoother. But you are right about the transitions and just how hard or soft we want the "before and after" where we focused stuff to be. A lot of good insights can be gleaned from motion pictures, where focus depth or lack of it is used so carefully. Good discussion.

<I>Actually, in your image of the fellow with the couple in the background, I think that background to be jarring, I would

prefer is smoother.</I><BR><BR>

Yeah... That is probably a textbook example of one of the most difficult situations for bokeh to be rendered well. You've got

light sources in the frame, neon and contrasty background details that are close to the same colors as the subject. The thing that

saves it is the fact that the bokeh actually obscures the couple making out in the background just enough that you don't

see them at first glance. That gives you a chance to register the personality of the subject (jazz guitarist Skip Heller) before

you see the punch line in the out of focus background.

Thanks, Dick. I like the 105/2.5 so much, I actually have it with an LTM mount as well :-) Actually, I don't think they're the same optical formula, but I do like both.

I used to have an 85/1.4 AFD, which has long ben considered the kng of bokeh. You wouldn't get any arguments from me wrt bokeh, but the 85mm focal length just seemd too short for how I see things when I use a tele.

I also have the 70-200mm AFS VR, and it does have great bokeh as well, but its size precludes everyday use, so I typically only use that at events.

In any case, you can't go wrong with any (or all) of these lenses.

Keith