ECX Flash Problems

ben_palmer2

Hello,

A bit of help is needed for my first post please... I've just got my hands on an ECX Set, everything seems perfect,

batteries and film that came in the camera seem to be loaded correctly, but the flash doesn't fire.

The switch on the body is set to the flash symbol, light on the flash unit comes on but nothing happens when I

fire the shutter.

Does anyone have any wonder suggestions as to what might be the issue? Could new batteries or dodgy contacts be

the problem?

any help greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Ben,

Have you used the ECX before? Is the shutter firing OK? Sometimes the ECX (or EC, too) have problems with their

shutters.

If shutter is firing, is the camera battery OK? Use battery check switch. The manual says, "To check whether the

batteries have been correctly inserted and are in operating order, hold the camera at both ends and pull fully apart.

Slide the function mode switch to the left, to the battery symbol. Hold the function mode switch in this position and

look through the viewfinder. The batteries are correctly inserted and in operating order when a red LED lights up in

the top of the viewfinder. The illumination of the red LED can sometimes fail due to soiled battery contacts. In this

case, clean the contacts with a clean, dry and non-fluff cloth."

If your shutter and battery are OK...perhaps it's a case of dodgy flash contacts. Not all corrosion is visible and just a

little can keep a flash from firing. I would dismount the flash, rub the three metal contacts on a dry, rough cloth (a

thick shirt fabric or similar, NOT sandpaper or anything abrasive).

Put the flash back on the camera, making sure to fit the 3 metal contacts in FIRST, then rotate the flash back so the

plastic tabs travel toward the rear of the camera and click to firmly seat the unit on the camera body.

Now, "trombone" the camera (push/pull), and try to press the shutter. I hope that works.

--Micah in NC